VMware Communities
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows XP distorted, slowed sound

I have VMware Workstation Player 15 and and a 11.x Windows XP SP3 guest that was imported from an old af laptop via vCenter Converter.

Recently the sound has not only become distorted, but slowed, as if I was playing a YouTube video at 0.25 playback speed. This problem is temporarily fixed when I use the Test Hardware wizard through the Audio Properties, but that only works until the VM changes sound drivers, whether it be by restarting or running a DOS application that uses a bleeper. My VM's sound driver is Creative Sound Blaster PCI while my host's sound driver is Realtek(R) Audio. I have tried repairing VMware tools but that hasn't done anything. What can I do to fix this for good? It sucks having my nostalgia ruined by this glitch!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does the VM use Sound Blaster as it's virtual sound card, or do you use Sound Blaster on the host?

0 Kudos
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's the VM's sound driver. My host's sound card is Realtek(R) Audio. I should've been more clear about that.

I will edit my post accordingly.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Um, bump?

I uninstalled VMware tools and the sound didn't improve. I reinstalled VMware tools and nothing happened. I know now this has nothing to do with VMware tools.

EDIT: I played an .mp3 song in Windows Media Player. Not only was it not affected by this problem but playing it also makes system sounds play normally. But again, that is a band-aid solution and I cannot use Windows Media player before logging in.

0 Kudos
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ugh my post got glitched away.

But this little program fixed it: GitHub - temerkhanov/SetTimerService: SetTimerService is a tiny Windows NT4/2000/XP compatible servi...

I just dragged the application in the Releases folder into the command prompt window, added /install and now the sound is fixed.

0 Kudos
Ibbanez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is old, but when I try running the program, for some reason, the cmd prompt says the "program is too big to fit into memory".  but its has a tiny footprint. I don't get it 😞

0 Kudos
3ric6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

tried this, didn't seem to work, sound still warbles even after installing this service and running media player

0 Kudos