VMware Communities
Raydude
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP Usability destroyed by 3.1.3

I just upgraded to 3.1.3.

It came up with no working network interfaces. I checked and found there is a much newer version of vmware-tools (was running 7.9.something, latest is 8.4.5 I think).

I tried using the "install vmware-tools" pull down menu but got bogus messages about not being able to find the isos. Looks like they don't exist on vmware.com anymore maybe?

Anyway I found a tar of the tools executable on vmware.com (39 MB) and downloaded it, put it on a usb key and copied it to the windows desktop.

I double clicked it but nothing happened, so I double clicked it again and nothing happened.

I decided I better remove the old drivers and ran control panel, remove software, vmware, uninstall.

It crashed toward the end and I had to kill it.

I tried to install the latest again but it mentioned that there was already an install in progress. Whoops.

So I rebooted. Next I get the windows, "Major hardware changes ... blah blah ... need to revalidate your windows ... blah blah ... etc"

The tools 8.4.5 exe will still not run. Nothing happens when I run it.

I have a 640x480 window with drivers that sometimes work and sometimes don't and three days to sort it all out so I can reactivate windows.

Help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if possibl;e go back to the version you used before

at the moment follow "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

IMHO best vmplayer available is 2.5.4 or - if it really has to be 3.* then use 3.0.1

0 Kudos
Raydude
Contributor
Contributor

I can't accept this answer. There must be a way to fix this. Besides, I threw away the old tools CD I burned a few months ago last week so I'd have to find it again.

Why is it so hard to install vmware-tools on vmware-player? I don't get that.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I can't accept this answer.

then you will probably do not like the next one too Smiley Sad

uninstall 3.1.3 - download Workstation 7.1.3 full version which comes with the necessary iso-files you need

when the  trial expires either simply keep the setup - VMplayer will still work - or re-install VMplayer 3.1.3

> > Why is it so hard to install vmware-tools on vmware-player? I don't get that.

Me neither  - nobody gets it :smileycry:

0 Kudos
Raydude
Contributor
Contributor

Just to let you know. I followed continuum's second suggestion.

I run gentoo, so what follows is gentooese.

I un-emerged the latest vmplayer and emerged vmware-workstation. I found out that it comes with vmplayer, but does not come with the iso images for drivers.

So I downloaded the full version of vmware-workstation and ran its install script, copied the isos to my home directory and then used its install script to uninstall. (gentoo puts vmware-workstation in /opt/bin /opt/lib etc. vmware-workstation puts itself in /usr/bin and /usr/lib so there was not overwriting of files.)

The full install could not run at all because /etc/vmware/networking got deleted. It took me a long time to figure that out and how to fix it.

I had to re-emerge vmware-workstation and re-setup the network interfaces using the command, "emerge --configure vmware-workstation."

At this point I was able to mount the Windows XP iso driver CD ROM image in the VM and after two crashed (ie hanged) attempts, got the drivers to install and work.

Phew.

Thanks Continuum.

0 Kudos