VMware Communities
AHokie
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP SP3 does not boot after Update

Setup:

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Host OS

VMPlayer 4.0.0 (then upgraded to VMPlayer 5.0.2)

Windows XP SP3

I have tried several times to install a fresh Windows XP installation and have not been successful after Windows Update runs and installs 122 updates for XP SP3.

I have done the following:

Installed VMPlayer 4.0.0 (it was an older installation)

Used the Windows XP SP3 DVD to install windows as the guest OS.

Prior to doing any updates, I was able to reboot the XP guest OS at least a few times.

Then Windows Update was run and installed 122 updates.

After rebooting, Windows will boot to the logo with the "progress" bar working.

Before long the "progress" bar will stop and the VMPlayer process will be running at 100% of the CPU on the Host OS.

Thinking that there was just a long process going, I left it for several hours with no luck.

I was then able to reboot Windows XP into Safe Mode and turn off many of the startup services. (I did not turn off some of the services that I thought were necessary to run).

After rebooting, the Windows Logo screen would complete, and the screen would go blank and the VMPlayer process would get stuck at 100% of the CPU.

This is when I noticed that I was running VMPlayer 4.0.0 and decided to upgrade to 5.0.2.  The blank screen still occured.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what else I can remove from the startup to get to a running XP SP3?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
honzag
Contributor
Contributor

Very similarly to my case:

VM Player 4.0.4 build-744019 on Ubuntu 12.04 VM WinXP/SP3 , very old instalation. It happened shortly after I installed some WinUpdate fixes.

And the same happend on my second HW (Host system = Ubuntu 10.04 with the very same guest)

Nothing helps.

0 Kudos