VMware Communities
badinsults
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP - Framebuf error

I am running VMware Player 2.0.3 build-80004 on Ubuntu 8.04. I installed Windows XP Home on a virtual machine, and for the past week have had no problems. This morning, I booted up Windows XP, and it essentially froze at the startup screen. When I booted up in safe mode, I get the error in the attached image. I haven't changed any configuration within Windows during the past couple of days. My google searching found that the framebuf error comes up due to problems with a computer's bios or bad hardware. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wendy_umarov
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Same where : XP pro ( installed in 2007 ) vmplayer 2.0.4 ( just updated ) in Mandriva 2.6.24.7-1.rt12.1mdv

-> blue screen of death about framebuf, ( "video driver in infinite loop" )

Do you have found any solution ?

Wen.

0 Kudos
badinsults
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, every time you have this problem, you have to re-run vmware-config.pl. Kind of annoying, but it is a solution.

0 Kudos
wendy_umarov
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I have already run vmware-config.pl, it do not change anything ( winxp blue screen of death )

Is maybe a problem with 'rt' Mandriva Kernel.

Wen.

0 Kudos
bhgordy
Contributor
Contributor

I received a BSOD with the framebuf error on my machine as well. rerunning the vmware-config.pl resolved the issue.

My config is the following:

hostmachine: Ubuntu Linux ubuntu 2.6.24-19-generic

vmware workstation: 6.0.4 buil-93057

vm type: Windows XP (installed from Windows XP SP1, upgraded to SP2, and then SP3).

I installed Windows XP yesterday and went to power it up and I noticed the scroll bar / status bar at the bottom of Windows XP was freakin out a little and received the following BSOD errors:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQL

So, I said perhaps I goofed, let's just start over and install a new instance.

made new vm and starting the installation process and pretty soon into it I got the BSOD framebuf error.

I then reran the #sudo vmware-config-pl

and that fixed the issue.

0 Kudos