VMware Communities
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Updates Failed - noob to VM Ware (currently a VBox user)

Hi All

Currently a VBox user but giving VMWare a go as it has one feature I like the sound of, 'Unity Mode'. 

I have set up the VM as 4GB RAM, 60GB HD and Windows 10 Pro and all was working just fine.  I then did a check for Windows Updates, and it all went pear-shaped.  The system 'Blue Screened' and rebooted and tried to repair itself... no joy - dead!

I started again, all running fine and got to the 22H2 update which all started fine to the 'reboot' stage and then it failed.  Windows again restarted and 'repaired' itself this time by removing the updates.  I now have a 20H2 (Build 19042.1706) system that will no longer update.

Q1.  Can VMW run the latest Window 10 (22HX) OS?

Q2. Is Workstation Player v16.2.4 a fully tested system or some kind of beta/test/dev system?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

EDIT: 21-11-22.  Got the latest VM Player v17 (only became available this morning) and installed.  it upgraded the existing install so lost nothing.  There was also an update to the addons so did that too.  I have now successfully updated the W10 to 22H2 and no errors.  It would therefore suggest that v16 of Player is not compatible with some configurations so make sure you have the latest Player installed.  Good look and thanks to all that helped.  Cheers

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Well, 65 odd views and no answers/suggestions.  I suppose VM Ware is not as popular as Virtual Box so it looks like ditching VM and going back. Shame really as I liked the idea of Unity mode.  Thanks to all that bother to read it.  Bye!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation Player is a full product, a limited feature version of Workstation Pro - a new version 17 has just released: https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2022/11/announcing-vmware-workstation-17-pro-and-player.html

Did you build your problem VM from scratch, or migrate it from VirtualBox?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

It was built from scratch (twice now).  All was going well until the 22H2 update then it killed it off - I am just trying the 22H2 update now (on v16) so will let you know the outcome.

I'll take a look at v17 - perhaps that's a more stable version.   EDIT: that's only the Pro version so won't be bothering.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers

EDIT: Post 22H2 Update

I can confirm that applying the 22H2 update breaks the installation.  My VM is currently 'Attempting Repairs'.  You get this just after the usual 30% reboot, the VM restarts and fails, then Windows tries to fix it. This can take some time (been running about 15 mins now) but expect it to either fail or Windows will have done a revert process and removed the updates.  it would seem v16 can't work with the 22H2 update, at least not on my config.  Cheers.

Update:  Broken - Windows reverted the updates - pic attached

0 Kudos
TSL02
Contributor
Contributor

Seems that I encounter the same problem.

Host systems: Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise 21H2 and 22H2

Guest system: 32-Bit-Version!!! of Windows 10 Pro 21H2 and 22H2

I have this problem since the october patches of Win10. Every time I try to install these patches or the november patches in the guest system, Win 10 crashes during reboot and then "repairs" itself. The behaviour is the same on different machines, even with a new VM built from scratch, but only with the 32-Bit-Version of Win 10. A 64-Bit Win 10 (Enterprise) in another VM is running without any difficulties. Unfortunately, the current Win-10-ISO from Microsoft includes only the spemtember patches. Due to that it is not possible to built a new Win-10-VM with october/november patches included.

Edit: Same behaviour with Worstation 16.2.4 and Workstation 17.0.0

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue has been reported previously. It is resolved in Workstation Pro 17 and (I assume) in Workstation Player 17; both were released on Friday, November 18th.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@TSL02 You experienced this on v17? Interesting. I upgraded a VM to 22H2 on v17 earlier today and experienced no issues.

EDIT: I just updated another VM to 22H2 (Win 10 Home, 64 bit) without issue. I've also applied the cumulative update for 22H2, KB5020030, with no problems.

0 Kudos
TSL02
Contributor
Contributor

I can't confirm that for Workstation Player 17.

I've tested that yesterday. I installed the brand new version 17 of Workstation Player. Then I created a new VM and installed 32-Bit-Win10Pro 22H2 using the most recent ISO from Microsoft. That results in build 19045.2006 (including September patches). After applying the November patches, Win10 crashes during reboot.

0 Kudos
TSL02
Contributor
Contributor

As I write in my original post, I experience this problem only with 32-Bit-Win10Pro. Another VM with 64-Bit-Win10Pro doesn't show this issue.

0 Kudos
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Player v17 doesn't exist yet.  Cheers

EDIT: as of now (21-11-22 @ 09:15) Player v17 is available 🙂

0 Kudos
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Player v17 or Workstation v17?  Player v17 doesn't exist yet.  Cheers

EDIT: as of now (21-11-22 @ 09:15) Player v17 is available 🙂

0 Kudos
TSL02
Contributor
Contributor

It was available yesterday afternoon (in Germany) too.

0 Kudos
Starb7
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, as I mentioned in the edit.  It became available around 09:15.  I checked at 9AM and all I got was the attached screen shot.  I guess there are a lot of people trying to download on a Monday morning!  Cheers

0 Kudos