VMware Communities
NatalieEGH1
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 98 keeps locking door on DVD drive since I installed VMtools

1.  VM was created in VMPlayer 15. It was originally built as a Windows 95 system version 4.00.950 B.  I found an old disk for a game that I used to love playing and installed it.  The graphics in 16 color was almost unreadable.  I started looking for a driver to support 256 color.  (I never was able to properly install VMtools, maybe they would have worked).  I continuously was swapping out the media in the DVD drive.  Finally I gave up and upgraded to Windows 98 version 4.10.1998.  All was going good but I was still limited to 16 colors.  I then added VMtools.  During the installation of VMtools, I got a message about the door on my CD drive (I am sure it said CD not DVD) being locked by the software.

2.  The door gets locked very well.  I have even tried pushing through the little hole to open the drive.  It will not budge.  I have to completely reboot the host system (Windows 7 64 bit Professional) to unlock the drives. I have verified if I change the DVD drive to use a disk file and run the VM, my drives work fine and the door is not locked.

3.  How do I fix this?

4.  On a good note, VMtools is providing 32 bit color.  The game looks great.  Just cannot use the F: (optical) drive.  The E: (other optical) drive (BluRay BE drive) not assigned to the VM still works okay.

5.  I really would like swap things out without having to stop and restart the VM each time.  At the moment I am doing this as it is faster than rebooting the host.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You fail because Windows 98 is not supported by vmware workstation player 15,the fact that you managed to install it doesn't mean it works as it should.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

IMG_9550.PNG

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
NatalieEGH1
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I have found the problem.

1.  Apparently LG drive will actually LOCK the drive.

2.  I was able to finally open the drive while the system was up by going into Windows Explorer/File Manager or whatever it was called then and right clicking on the drive and selecting EJECT.

0 Kudos
NatalieEGH1
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm, that might be why I cannot get Axis and Allies by Hasbro to work.

Some of the games are working well, others are not working at all.  Most of the problems I am encountering have to do  with display resolution and display color depth.

The problem that I reported though was able to be worked around by going into the File Manager/Windows explorer and right clicking on the optical drive and selecting EJECT.

0 Kudos