VMware Communities
WildVirus
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 Developer Preview

I got an internal monitor error

vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903

I wanted to install the 64bit version

Now I'm starting do download the 32bit version.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Magai
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error message, and I'm also downloading the the 32-bit version now.

Attaching dump files and the other files it said to send in the error message.

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

I get the exact same thing. Probably because Player 3 does not support ACPI 2.0 which W8 requires. The 32-bit version crashes also but in a different way (the funny new bluescreen).

I did, however, get the 64-bit developer version to work in Workstation 8. It was strange and tricky but finally it worked. The first install crashed but it was possible to get the vm to once again boot from the ISO and the second time it got all the way through.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Hope Player gets updated soon... Virtualbox is buggy as all hell on my setup (7x64 host) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Theblacksheep
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8 works.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Isn't Workstation 8 in closed beta? Smiley Sad

Or can I legally torrent it? Heart

0 Kudos
Theblacksheep
Contributor
Contributor

It's released today.

Check VMware website, you can get it now.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, thanks for the info. Now you've put me in a dilemna... wait for the next VMWare Player or shell out 200€ for Workstation? Hmmm...

0 Kudos
Magai
Contributor
Contributor

Theres a free 30 day trial for it.

Downloading it now.

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

I am not 100% sure but I think you only need the new Player 4 which is included in the Workstation setup, and I do not think the Player expires after the trial period. At least I hope so.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Now that sounds interesting... Can anyone confirm? :smileygrin:    

0 Kudos
Theblacksheep
Contributor
Contributor

I created in Workstation.... and now have just run it in player Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Which settings did you use? I keep getting an error message after the install (first boot): "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to  restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

Smiley Sad  

0 Kudos
Theblacksheep
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the 32bit version with 1GBram, 1vcpu, 40GB HD, NAT.

VM was created in before upgrading to 8 and rerunning the VM if thats helps.  I'll try a clean version later.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Theblacksheep wrote:

VM was created in before upgrading to 8 and rerunning the VM if thats helps.  I'll try a clean version later.

That would be great. I've been trying to install the 64-bit version, maybe that's the issue.

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

I have a feeling that you have to leave everything at default in the first install dialog that asks for languages and keyboard. Leave it at English and US keyboard.

0 Kudos
bemymonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting idea, but that's what I've been doing all along... oh well, downloading 32-bit version Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, I am not sure exactly what did the trick but my whole procedure was:

1. Create a new vm in player 4. Select "Other 64-bit", increase HD size and set 2GB RAM.

2. Start install until crash.

3. Power down vm and change OS setting to W7x64.

4. Start vm and boot again from ISO by pressing ESC very early in the vm POST and select DVD.

5. Whipe the HD clean from partitions and install once more.

As I said, it might be possible to cut a few steps from the above.

0 Kudos
Theblacksheep
Contributor
Contributor

First install I changed to EN keyboard.  Worked ok.

Second install straight on WS8 (previous one was started in WS7) failed when choosing Windows7 as the OS, as the unattend file appears to changed and setup fails and reboots because of it.  Changed to Other and seems to be installing OK.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

"Second install straight on WS8 (previous one was started in WS7) failed  when choosing Windows7 as the OS, as the unattend file appears to  changed and setup fails and reboots because of it."

Did you try de-selecting the Easy Install?  (Choose "I will install the OS later").

0 Kudos