VMware Communities
mguilf
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 x64 Virtual Image Not Booting

Hi,

I suspect this question has been asked before but despite searching I can't find suitable advice.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a W510 Thinkpad.  I want a VM of W7 to use for trying out software etc before commiting to install it on the host OS.  I've used VMware vCenter Standalone Converter to create an image of my physical machine, and this happens succesfully without any apparent errors.  However, trying to run this image in VMware Player 3.1 doesn't work.  Windows will start to boot but won't get past the 'Starting Windows' splash screen before repeatedly getting a BSOD:BSOD.jpg

I would be grateful for any advice on how to remedy this.  Incidentally, creating an Ubuntu x64 VM from an install ISO works perfectly; I don't have the install media for W7 as it is on the recovery partition.

As a quick aside I noticed that for the W7 VM image I am unable to edit settings such as memory/processor allocation, network behaviour etc as I can for the Linux VM - is this normal?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sounds like Converter failed with patching the image correctly

read http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

there I explained how to patch a win7 or 2008 r2
make sure you load the correct hive and that you assign the vmdk as LSI-SAS

0 Kudos