VMware Communities
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 7 P2V bluescreens on Workstation Player

Hello,

I have a physical Windows 7 machine, in which the BIOS is set to "Dual Boot Type", which I believe means it supports UEFI or Legacy boot types (as the other options are specifically Legacy or UEFI).

The disk mode is set to AHCI, and is a physical SATA disk.

I have taken a P2V using Starwind's free P2V/V2V converter, with a format suitable for workstation player. I have then attached this disk to a Player VM with a disk type of SATA (Also tried SCSI), and tried to boot it.

However, the machine fails to boot, and very briefly bluescreens during the boot process with a stop code of 0x0000007B

Startup repair fails to resolve the issue, and the extended report suggests:

"Root cause found:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem"

And:

"Repair action: System files integrity chck and repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490"

I can't quite wrap my head around why this machine is failing to boot under workstation player, and nothing I've tried has helped. Is anyone able to offer me any guidance on what the issue with the disk/VM might be so I can attempt to resolve?

Cheers

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would try the VMware Converter... install it on your new host.  And run it, but select the second step and point it to the converted VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A Stop 7B is a failure of hard disk controller.  I'm not familiar with Starwind's product - but I know the free VMware Converter has 2 stages... first, to create an image of the existing machine into a virtual hard disk file; and second, to reconfigure the virtual hardware to inject drivers for the virtual hard disk controller and other devices needed for booting.  Have you done a second stage of driver injection so the Win7 has the driver for the VMware disk controller?

0 Kudos
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for this.

Starwind's product doesn't give those options.

I did try to install Vmware tools pre-image, but the setup executable refused to launch on the physical machine, so didn't allow me to include their drivers before imaging.

How would I go about manually injecting storage controller drivers on an existing install/image?

Cheers

James

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would try the VMware Converter... install it on your new host.  And run it, but select the second step and point it to the converted VM.

0 Kudos
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, I didn't think you could download it any more with them discontinuing it?

I'm downloading now and will give it a whirl!

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can confirm after using the vCenter standalone converter, the VM powers on correctly in Workstation Player 🙂

Thanks for your input.

James

0 Kudos