VMware Communities
Hanziness
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 (Guest) blue screen on VMware Player - but works with Virtual PC 2007

Hi everyone, I'm having problems with Windows 7

I tried it on Virtual PC 2007, it works but it's very slow. Users said I could try VMware Player because it works very well with Windows 7

So, when I start the virtual machine, it start normally, the boot screen shows up and then I get a blue screen with an error message:

"Windows failed to start. A recend hardware or software change may cause this"....

I don't know what is the problem, I downloaded VMware Tools for Windows 2000 and later, and I update VMware Player but I get the same results Smiley Sad

I just want to try how does Windows 7 look like, but I can't

Please help me. Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Did you take the Virtual PC image or did you do a fresh install of the Win7 guest under Player?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Hanziness
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for answering I tried both. I tried when I installed Windows 7 on Virtual PC 2007 and started a virtual machine with that vhd file, and I tried when I put Windows 7's files on the vhd and started VMware Player - I did this because my pc has got only 512MB RAM -. This method worked perfectly on Virtual PC 2007.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

512 MB on the host? That is...somewhat to small....

Try to convert the .vhd image to VMware with the free VMware Converter Standalone http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/converter401/dGhiZHRwaGJ0QGg=

And do not expect too much from Vmware Player either....you only have 512 MB available. Windows 7 alone requires already 1 GB for 32 bit. You will end up with a lot of swapping and that makes all very slow....

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Hanziness
Contributor
Contributor

Look, I just want to TRY IT OUT, but this is the reason to use the Virtual Memory.

... and other users said (who has better computer) that win7 was slow on Virtual PC 2007.

0 Kudos
PatrickDickey52
Contributor
Contributor

I'm actually having a similar problem, but slightly different.

I was running Windows 7 32-bit on my laptop, and used Disk2vhd to covert it to a Virtual Hard Drive. After that, I wiped and installed LInux, with the intent of using VMWarePlayer to load WIndows on the few times that I actually needed it. When I start VMWare Player, and start the vhd, it blue screens with a 0x7B Stop Error. I tried using the Repair tools on my Windows 7 Disc, but it said that it was an unrepairable problem. Basically it's because my motherboard and hardware all changed (since VMWare doesn't use the same hardware specs).

Problem 2 is that since I'm on Linux, I can't download and run the VMWare Converter. And I'm not willing to wipe and reinstall Windows--just to convert it over, so I can reinstall Linux (unless that is the only way). I may try it in VirtualBox, just to see if that works. But I'd prefer VMWare Player, as it's been around long enough to work more or less seamlessly with my situation.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day:)

Patrick.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

#1 - thats easy - one boot into the win7 recovery CD and a small edit of the vmx-file will do - read my instructions here : http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

#2 - do you have any working Windows VM ? - then install latest converter inside the VM. It is not necessary to use it on a real machine

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
PatrickDickey52
Contributor
Contributor

#1 - thats easy - one boot into the win7 recovery CD and a small edit of the vmx-file will do - read my instructions here :

#2 - do you have any working Windows VM ? - then install latest converter inside the VM. It is not necessary to use it on a real machine

- - -

I used my Windows 7 installation disc and followed the steps on your "Easy Patching". However, when I rebooted, it completely locked up my computer. I do have a question from your site though. You said to change the DWORD for the start type tag to 0. I have a "Start" and a "Type" tag in p2v\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS. So, which one should I have changed? (I changed the "Start" tag to 0 from 3, and left the "Type" tag at 1)

Off-hand, which of the services would apply to an AHCI SATA (like the one that VirtualBox uses)? And would your method work for that as well?

And, does it matter that I'm still using it as a vhd file? After all VMWarePlayer seems to be able to boot into it (or at least start to boot into it). The vhd is 53GB in size (total size would be 291GB if it uses every byte), so I don't want to have to create another VM with a drive that big (I'm assuming I would have to) in order to convert it, if I don't have to.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm willing to do what I have to, but I'd like to minimize the work, if possible. As for the system, I have the original copy of the vhd on my Windows Home Server, so if I bugger this up, I'll just replace it with another copy of that one.

Have a great day:)

Patrick.

#1 - thats easy - one boot into the win7 recovery CD and a small edit of the vmx-file will do - read my instructions here :

- - -

0 Kudos