VMware Communities
ksio89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 11 guest machine stuck at 1152x864 resolution

I updated a Windows 11 Insider Preview VM to build 22478.1012 (Dev channel), but now it won't allow me to set a resolution higher than 1152x864, while before the update, I was able to choose up to full monitor resolution (1920x1080). Reinstalled VMware Tools and modified .vmx file according to these articles, but no luck:

Adding video resolution modes to Windows guest operating systems (1003) (vmware.com)

Increasing virtual machine display resolution to a custom resolution beyond the maximum resolution l...

Also, on Device Manager, there is only Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed, shouldn't there be an SVGA 3D adapter or something like that as well?

Windows-11-VMware-resolution

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, on Device Manager, there is only Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed, shouldn't there be an SVGA 3D adapter or something like that as well?

That's likely your problem – the VMWare SVGA driver did not get installed for some reason. Try double-clicking the Basic Adapter, go to Driver tab, click Update driver button, then Browse computer for drivers and Let me choose a driver. If the next page shows VMware SVGA 3D option, choose that, otherwise click Have disk and browse to c:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video_wddm\Vista, which should give you VMware SVGA 3D.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's likely your problem – the VMWare SVGA driver did not get installed for some reason. Try double-clicking the Basic Adapter, go to Driver tab, click Update driver button, then Browse computer for drivers and Let me choose a driver. If the next page shows VMware SVGA 3D option, choose that, otherwise click Have disk and browse to c:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video_wddm\Vista, which should give you VMware SVGA 3D.

ksio89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, it worked. 😀

0 Kudos