VMware Communities
sturdy2
Contributor
Contributor

WinXP guest fails after upgrade of linux host

Hi all,

I'm new to VMware Player so need a little help troubleshooting. I created a WinXP guest on Ubuntu 12.04 host and all was well until I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10. Now the same WinXP guest fails to start properly. The entire desktop (parts occupied by both the host and the guest window are grossly distorted, similar to the way an analog television CRT could sometimes show hundreds of horizontal retrace lines. I suspect the video driver but that seems to be installed by VMware Tools *after* the guest is started. Is there a way to install the Tools before the guest is started? Or is there another solution? I really don't want to install WinXP and updates yet again!

Thanks in advance

Sturdy2

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
sturdy2
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently this is a known issue with VMPlayer and other products. The actual problem is that Player fails when Play virtual machine" is pressed reguardless whether a guest is installed. There is a patch available here: http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/2103172-94260/vmware9_kernel35_patch.tar.... Sorry, couldn't make link attachment work. Simply change the script to exec and run it.

0 Kudos