VMware Communities
Marcie
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 clone asks for activation (screenshot attached)

Using vcenter converter standalone, I created a virtual machine from the powered on physical machine. But when I go into the guest it says "activate windows now" although host is already activated.

Which of these do you think might have triggered re-activation?

1. I have an OEM license of Windows 7 Home Premium

2. I have no page file in the host

3. When creating the clone in vcenter I unselected all partitions but the C: drive

4. After creating the clone, in vmware player settings I changed memory from 15.7GB to 4GB

5. I have received an odd message about defragmentation after I rebooted the guest

The odd thing is, this is the second time I created a clone and I didn't reuse any old files from the old clone but instead saying 30 days to activation it continued where the old clone had left and says 3 days to activation. I don't want to reactivate in the guest because it might break the activation in the host.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

This is beacuse the hardware have changed and Windows is detecting that and want to reactive.

Are you sure you are allowed to run your Windows OEM license two times?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos