kd_1
Contributor
Contributor

Win10 guest on Linux host: bad audio input

I have an issue with a Windows 10 guest on Ubuntu 20.04 host: the audio input via microphone is very bad.

When I use the microphone in apps such as Skype/Teams/Zoom, there is distortion, lost buffers, and "stuttering" such as replaying parts of a buffer. Audio output works well.

I tried the Windows native "hdaudio" driver, and also the dedicated vmware audio driver. Both don't work well.

Anyone got a clue? Thanks for help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kd_1
Contributor
Contributor

I have found a solution for the issue: if you keep the "Sound" manager dialog open (the one in the Ubuntu "Settings" application, the system settings app), the problem reliably disappears.

Of course, this is not a 100% satisfying solution. But Audio I/O and Video now works reliably in my Windows 10 guest, and I use apps like Teams exclusively inside my virtualized computers - this is what one wants after all. Conference apps like these were the last apps I used to run on the host, now I am working 100% in virtualization. Still would like to see a better solution ... maybe someone here has an idea?

0 Kudos
hpeters206
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for not being on your topic but I can't find any specific examples of recommended desktop hardware that it reliable for running Vmware Workstation 16 on a Linux host. Could you point me to a source of specific CPU and MB combinations that are reliable? What version of Linux are you using? What is your specific CPU and motherboard. I'd like to use a 12 core Ryzen 9 CPU if possible. Thanks for any information you can provide.

0 Kudos
kd_1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am using a T490 currently, which works 100% with Ubuntu. Version is 20.04.

0 Kudos