VMware Communities
DaWickedDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Win10: VMware Player uninstall and install fails

Dear All,

after upgrade to Windows 10, VMWare Player stopped working. Playing VMs stopped with an error message. So I tried to uninstall and make a new clean installation of VMware Player 7.12.

Unfortuntaly both fails. In both cases (uninstall and install) the Installer programm launches a subroutine "Virtual Network Editor" which obviously crashed and the setup process stops without an error message. Only chance to stop it is killing it via task manage. Same problem with the "Repair" option of the Installation program.

The manual uninstallation as described here...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1308&slice...

...did NOT work either 😞

It seems when trying to un-installing the necessary network drivers something goes terrably wrong.

Any ideas / help?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CookyMonzta
Contributor
Contributor

I take it that you got the infamous 'The MSI " failed' message, eh?

If it can't be reinstalled, it is almost a certainty that it will never be reinstalled unless you perform a clean install of your operating system...

...Which I had to do when I encountered this problem.  I tried their solution, in 2 different versions of Windows (7 and 8.1), with previous versions of VMware Player (7.1.0 and 7.1.1); and it was a complete farce.

I will repeat what I told them:  It is absolutely unacceptable to put out a program that cannot be removed.  It is even more of a farce when the solution is to go through a maze with a series of procedures, and even THAT doesn't work!

I have never come across a program that had the potential to present this much of a problem if it is uninstalled.  I have never come across a program that presented this much of a problem to reinstall, once it has been removed.

My first guess is that the registry of this program can be easily corrupted by the introduction of another program; perhaps one that is as big, if not bigger, than this.  Unacceptable.

I gave VMware Player 7.1.2 a test removal and reinstallation on my 64-bit Windows 7 host.  I have had no problems removing and reinstalling the program...YET.

If I must say so, any chance you had of reinstalling VMware Player 7.1 2 may have gone out the window the sooner you installed Windows 10.  That's not the only program Windows 10 can chop up in a desktop system.  My Kaspersky Internet Security was severed from my system, and Windows Backup reported that my backup drive, completely healthy when repeatedly tested in Windows 7, was about to die.

Windows 10 seems to behave better in a laptop.  If I were you, I'd downgrade and wait for Win10 Service Pack 1 for the desktop...

...But that doesn't mean that VMware Player will function normally after an OS downgrade.  Like I said, anything that can corrupt this program's ability to be reinstalled (after once being removed) will do so.  And they have not fixed the problem in as long as FIVE YEARS!

0 Kudos
GuyM66
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had the same issue with upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro and then trying to get vmware player 7.1.12 installed. First install sort of worked but a vm failed to restart and player threw an error. Then player refused to start. Tried to remove and reinstall with no luck. Tried emptying the {users/{username}/AppData/local/temp} folder and reinstall with no luck. Even attempting the part install and then copying the vmware-XXXXXX.msi and running that with no success. Finally I took a remove all references to vmware from the {users/{username}/AppData/local/temp} folder than ran regedit looking for all keys referring to vmware and removed them. Attempted the reinstall of vmware player and it worked Smiley Happy

0 Kudos