VMware Communities
MatthewKleinman
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 BSOD driver irql not less or equal windows 7 vmware upon booting Ubuntu X64 VM

As soon as I get past the grub screen, and Ubuntu starts to boot, the host comes down with a BSOD and driver irql not less or equal error.

This started with one install of 32 bit Ubuntu and VMware player 6.  It was fine at first and than after a while it would BSOD win 7 every time I brought the VM up.  I have other Windows VM's and they are fine.  I re-installed the VM and it was fine again for a while and than started doing the BSOD thing.   I upgraded to VMware player 7 and Ubuntu 14, 64 bit.  That was happy for a while, and I thought all this was behind me and now it is doing it again, and now it has files on it that I want back.

I would really love to get the VM working again, but in the worst case, I would like to get my files off of it.

Does anybody have any ideas on this one?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthewKleinman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks go to a great person names Arc over at the Win 7 forums.

The Intel Rapid Storage application was causing the problem.  I uninstalled that in programs and features, let the notebook boot up and install the native Windows drivers, and the problem is resolved.

0 Kudos