VMware Communities
nicolasduminil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why can't I change the screen resolution on guest ?

Greetings,

I used VMware Player to create a RHEL 5.5 guest on Windows 7. The resulting vm has a 1440 x 900 screen but when I run it the screen is 800 x 600. Using the guest utility to change the screen resolution only gives the choice of 800 x 600 and 640 x 400. Notice that the guest installation was done using "I'll install later the operating system". If this option is not used and the guest is installed either using the "easy" option or the "advanced" one, this problem does not exist. Anyway, there is a big difference between a guest genberated using the "easy" or "advanced" otion and one generated with "I'll instal later" option. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are the VMware Tools installed in the guest? Beside other important things they contain the necessary video driver which allows to change the resolution.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are the VMware Tools installed in the guest? Beside other important things they contain the necessary video driver which allows to change the resolution.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
MartinPasquier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check if vmware tools are installed first.

Then, under linux virtual machines, under preferences => dislay menu, change the display hardware to generic vesa lcd display, sometimes, it resolve the problem, because most of linux vms use analog screen as default or something like this, I don't remember the exact name.

Regards

Martin Pasquier

0 Kudos
MartinPasquier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check if vmware tools are installed first.

Then, under linux virtual machines, under preferences => dislay menu, change the display hardware to generic vesa lcd display, sometimes, it resolve the problem, because most of linux vms use analog screen as default or something like this, I don't remember the exact name.

Regards

Martin Pasquier

0 Kudos