VMware Communities
greglim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which version of Player for lightweight PC?

Which version of Player should be used for a lightweight PC?

More specifically: I have a 1GHz P3 laptop that I'd like to run player on. The host in my case would Linux.

Usually, it is the case that older versions of software are less memory(and other resource) hungry, but I am

wondering if Player 2 has improvements in that area?

Another way of looking at my question is this: Is Player 1 still released and developed only for compatability

with Server, or is there some other compelling reason to use 1.0.5?

I did some looking around and couldn't find an answer. Why are there 2 versions of Player still being developed?

Which version is better for a low-end machine?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jruschme
Contributor
Contributor

Player 1.0.5 is definately a legacy baseline and, I would suspect, the final 1.x release. It was developed as part of the Workstation 5.5.5 update. (The real question is why 5.5 was updated at all, though that was probably some kind of long-term support issue.)

Personally, I'd put a different twist on your question... If I want to set up an older PC as a dedicated VMware Player system, what would be the best way to configure the host? (I'm picturing something like DSL or Puppy Linux combined with VMware Player.)

John

0 Kudos
Ninho
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Haven't tried Player 2 so I'll pass on which version is lighter on resources (though if I have to bet, I'll assume the newer-better is also, alas! fatter-heavier)

What I wished to tell you, I used Player 1 successfully on a Pentium 2 @ 233 MHz with 128 Megabytes memory, so I don't feel your concern about your gigahertz machine as such a serious one ! The amount of physical memory, rather than the processor's megahertz if what will limit you, if you want to run very large machines or several VMs at a time.

HTH

--

Ninho

0 Kudos