VMware Communities
Seeky
Contributor
Contributor

Which host OS should be used for the virtualization of a laptop?

I've a laptop with Windows XP Home installed. Now I'd like to virtualize this operating system so that I can use the VMware image also on another laptop (independent of the hardware). To create the VMware image I use VMware Converter.

But which operating system should I install on my laptop? I could install e.g. Windows XP Professional and install VMware Player to run my VMware image (Windows XP Home). But then I do have to patch (security updates, anti virus, ...) beside the VMware image (Windows XP Home) also the host OS (Windows XP Professional).

Would VMware ESXi be a solution? But I think for VMware ESXi you need at least two computers. Or is it possible to install VMware ESXi on the laptop and to open a console on the same laptop which runs the VMware image?

What's the recommended solution for my planned setup?

Any help and advice is very appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

since you want to run the VM on a laptop, I'd recommend you run it in VMware Workstation or Player (both available for either Windows or Linux hosts). No matter what you do, you always need to update the virtual machine independently of the host.

As a side note, since you mentioned "XP Home". The virtualized XP needs it's own Windows license!

André

Seeky
Contributor
Contributor

Does that mean that there's no VMware product (e.g. like VMware ESXi) available which I can use as the host operating system which I don't need to update (security updates, anti virus, ...)?

If I understand you right I really have to install a full version of a host operating system (Windows, Linux) and then to use VMware Player or Workstation to run the VMware image (guest operating system)? That would mean that I need two Windows licenses and that I also have to patch (security updates, ...) both Windows operating systems.

There's no possibility to use VMware ESXi or a similar software for my purpose?

Seeky

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't get me wrong. You can try to install ESXi on your laptop. However, this may or may not work due to the fact that ESXi is made for server class hardware and the supported hardware is limited. In addition - as you already mentioned in your initial post - you need a second Windows system on which you can run the vSphere Client to manage the ESXi host.

André

gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why do you want to avoid updates? All modern applications

have update system for avoiding manual check for updates

and keeping everything up to date avoids various risks.

I prefer Linux as host because of good stabiity and better reliability,

moreover you can automatize (only important/all) updates.

0 Kudos
Seeky
Contributor
Contributor

Yes of course, you’re right.

No, I don't mind to install updates I just want to avoid to install a complete operating system with countless functions just to install VMware Player or Workstation to run my VMware guest operating system.

Therefore ESXi is great because it uses a very thin and stable kernel with only the necessary functionality to run the VMware guest systems. The problem is just that it's not possible to work directly on the ESXi system. I do need a second computer. Or am I wrong?

I'm looking for a thin and stable operating system (like ESXi) which I can install on my laptop with only the necessary functionality to run VMware Player so that I can start my VMware guest operating system (Windows XP) and work directly on my laptop with this VMware guest operating system.

Is there such an operating system available or do I really have to install a full version of Windows or Linux?

0 Kudos
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried BSD (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD) ?

In default no GUI.

But installation and setting require some skills.

0 Kudos
Seeky
Contributor
Contributor

No, I haven't tried BSD but I heard about. But I think it's also an operating system with countless functions. Or not?

Does someone know which solution/operating system the VMware team recommends for my setup?

0 Kudos