VMware Communities
RSMohaan
Contributor
Contributor

Which VMware version for windows XP SP 3, 32 bit to be installed for Linux

My system config is Windows XP-SP 3, professional 2002.

RAM : 1GB

Processor : 1.83 GHz dual core

I am planning to install linux with the help of VMWare on my machine.

Pls suggest me what to do?

do i need to update my system?

or is there any version of VMWare that i can download and use it?

If so, please provide the link.

thanx in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi, welcome to the forums!

You will not get great performance with thos computer specs ... It can work, it will work, but it will be slow at times.

If you can add 1GB more to your system that would help it nicely (total of 2GB)

As what software you can use, either the free VMware Player or the Paid VMware Workstation will work with your OS.

The difference is all about what your intentions are, if you just want to create and run Linux without anything more, VMware player will suffice (VMware Player faq's: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html)

If you want to be able to do more, create multiple VM's, play with network settings and so on, VMware Workstation would be more suited (VMware Workstation faq's: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/faqs.html)

You can try Workstation free for 30 days: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vmware-workstation9

Hope this will get you going ...

0 Kudos
RSMohaan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for replying me back to the above question, I had followed your instructions closely ie., by updating my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB, but as still unable to install VMWare on windows.  Is there anybody who can help me regarding this issue.

Regards,

Mohan.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but as still unable to install VMWare on windows.

Just saying this is about meaningless from a diagnostic/troubleshooting perspective and if you expect to get help then you need to at least attempt to provide some relevant information about your install attempt! Smiley Wink

What VMware Product and version are you trying to install?

If it won't install then what error message, if any, is presented or describe as explicitly and specifically what has and or hasn't occurred providing a screen shot if that might be relevant and or the install logs from the %TEMP% folder, archived (compressed) into a single .zip file and attached to a reply.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... but as still unable to install VMWare on windows.

Please provide some details, like error messages ...

Btw. depending on your hardware (mainly the processor) you may need to stick with VMware Player 3.x. Please check the Installation Requirements for VMware Player 4.x and newer.

André

0 Kudos
RSMohaan
Contributor
Contributor

My system config is Windows XP-SP 3, professional 2002.

RAM : 2GB

Processor : 32 bit 1.83 GHz dual core

I am planning to install linux with the help of VMWare on my machine.

Pls suggest me what to do?

do i need to update my system?

or is there any version of VMWare that i can download and use it?

If so, please provide the link.

Thanks in advance.....!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With your hardware you may need to use VMware Player 3.x

Go to http://www.vmware.com/go/downloadplayer and select the appropriate version.

André

0 Kudos
RSMohaan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I am happy that I could download the VMWare through the link provided. I will be more happy if you provide the required RPMs for the same version "VMware-player-3.1.6-744570" also.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I will be more happy if you provide the required RPMs for the same version "VMware-player-3.1.6-744570" also.

You're installing VMware Player on a Windows Host, correct?  If yes there are no RPM requirements.   That said, what Linux Distro and version are you going to install as a Guest OS in a Virtual Machine?  Without knowing that I can't give you explicit and specific however generally speaking at a minimum you should have gcc, make, perl, and kernel specific kernel headers installed before installing VMware Tools in the Linux Guest.

0 Kudos