VMware Communities
NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

Which VMware Player for an Old Desktop?

This is my first post, sorry if I'm in the wrong section, please correct me

I have a desktop with Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo E6850. I built this desktop myself about 12 years ago and had XP-PRO 32bit installed but recently I decided to install Linux Cinnamon 20.1 to learn a new OS.

All works good now and I want to install a VMware Player and then install the XP-PRO 32bit but I have been unable to find the right download for my desktop (Cinnamon Host with VMware Player Guest 32bit).

Can someone point me where I can get the right download?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The latest VMware Player version that supports your CPU is most likely version 12.5.x. However, I doubt that this version will work on a new Linux version/kernel. Good luck.

André

0 Kudos
NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andre for your time
Nicolas
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@a_p_ wrote:

The latest VMware Player version that supports your CPU is most likely version 12.5.x. However, I doubt that this version will work on a new Linux version/kernel. Good luck.

André

Actually, I believe Player 6.0.7 was the latest build which will work on a 32-bit host OS.  That's what I run on an older Windows XP laptop.  12.5.x is the latest which will run on older CPUs, but does require a 64-bit host OS.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using a 64 bit host OS, then you might be able to use mkubecek's host patches in order to get an older VMware Player to work on your host.
See:

https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

If that doesn't work.. look into virtual box or qemu instead of VMware Player.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry folks but I posted a reply and I don’t see it here so I post it again. I’m new to this forum and I find it difficult to navigate

I downloaded VMware Player for Linux 32-bit from this site
VMware Player 6.0 - VMware Customer Connect

I’m learning Linux and not very good at the moment to use the Terminal to install this download.

Can someone tell me the required command(s) to do the install on Linux?

Thanks
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@NorthernSky wrote:
Sorry folks but I posted a reply and I don’t see it here so I post it again. I’m new to this forum and I find it difficult to navigate

You're a new user, added a link to a download... your post ended up in the spam queue. The forum software is unable to determine that links to its own download sites are perfectly fine. Something we moderators informed vmware a year or so ago about.. So not your fault.

I downloaded VMware Player for Linux 32-bit from this site
VMware Player 6.0 - VMware Customer Connect

That frankly makes little sense. It will never work on a 5.x Linux kernel.

It's from what.. 2015? That's ancient.. when we talk about something so tightly integrated with Linux kernel interfaces.

What's the output from the command:

uname -a

when you type it in a command line terminal?

I'm asking this as your CPU does 64 bit just fine and I would be really surprised if you installed a 32 bit Mint (not even sure it exists for that version).
You can run 32 bit Windows XP on a 64 bit host OS.. that's not a problem.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Wil for your time and education. The output of the command you asked is shown below

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ nf -a
nf: command not found
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ uname -a
Linux nf-P5K3-Deluxe 5.4.0-97-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 13 18:22:13 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$

If possible I'm looking for a VMware download for my Linux host and the guest will be for 32-bit XP-PRO and Vista (both quite ancient, lol)

Nicolas

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Nicolas,

@NorthernSky wrote:

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ uname -a
Linux nf-P5K3-Deluxe 5.4.0-97-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 13 18:22:13 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As expected you are running a 64 bit version of the Linux kernel.
So you can just download Workstation Player 12.5.9 and use the code from @mkubecek on github.

https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/

edited: changed above URL back to the main version.
Yes, you can use it with Player 12.5.9 on a modern kernel, the explanation on how it works is on the main page, there's tags and releases.. not just releases.
(Sorry I don't use this myself, but a lot of people do and I probably will do so myself one day too)

--
Wil

NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Wil, I will give it a try

Much appreciated

Nicolas

0 Kudos
NorthernSky
Contributor
Contributor

My try didn't succeed, Below is the code I get. Can someone give me a hand please? I'm not good with the Terminal commands.

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ ls
VMware-Player-12.5.9-7535481.x86_64.bundle
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install gcc build-essential -y
[sudo] password for nf:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gcc is already the newest version (4:9.3.0-1ubuntu2).
build-essential is already the newest version (12.8ubuntu1.1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libgsoap-2.8.91 libvncserver1 linux-headers-5.4.0-94 linux-headers-5.4.0-94-generic linux-image-5.4.0-94-generic linux-modules-5.4.0-94-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-94-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ export LC_ALL=C
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Player*
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Player*
Extracting VMware Installer...done.

(vmware-installer.py:2127): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:2127): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:2127): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

/usr/lib/vmware-installer/3.0.0/vmis-launcher: error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.9.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Player-12.5.9-7535481.x86_64.bundle*
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Player-12.5.9-7535481.x86_64*
Extracting VMware Installer...done.

(vmware-installer.py:2919): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:2919): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:2919): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

/usr/lib/vmware-installer/3.0.0/vmis-launcher: error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.9.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$

0 Kudos