VMware Communities
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where to put the VM in a muti-user domain PC?

HAve the VM just as I want it but its currently located under the username of the Admin that was logged on when it was created.  Is there a best method to put the Virtual Machine folder somewhere NOT user specific so all users logged in can access it from a desktop shortcut?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You can place it wherever is most convenient.  I usually use something short like C:\VMs so I don't have to look to far!

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You can place it wherever is most convenient.  I usually use something short like C:\VMs so I don't have to look to far!

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I typically create a folder named Virtual Machines in the root of a volume and then make sure that Everyone has full access in every respect to the Virtual Machines folder and all files and folders within it.

0 Kudos
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh, its that well encapsulated.  Nice.  Secondary question: will the advanced player settings (startup options and preferences) stay set for each user logging into the domain or will each user hav eto answer those intial questions at Player launch for first time?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The first time each User runs VMware Player they will have to respond to the typical questions that come up and will also have to specifically open a target VM if they didn't execute the .vmx configuration file for the target VM.

0 Kudos
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the next question has to be can I launch the .vmx setting file with the VM itself?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So the next question has to be can I launch the .vmx setting file with the VM itself?

What you're asking as I read it (the way you've asked it) makes no sense however if you're asking if you can start the VM by executing the .vmx configuration file vs. first opening VMware Player the answer is yes.

0 Kudos
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for not being clear.  Let me try again.

I would like a shortcut on all users desktops to launch the same VM and NOT have to respond to any first time questions of any kind.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Player is intended for Personal Use and as such each Account it is accessed under has to to agree with the EULA and any other default messages that go along with starting VMware Player and or a VM for the first time and while there are ways to work around some of this nonetheless not all of it is controllable by adding some entries to the .vmx configuration file since there are other files created under each User Account that don't exist until First Run under each Account.  There may also be some Windows Registry entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER that get populated too, I'll have to take a look as I do not remember of the top of my head.  So what you would have to do is preposition the necessary changes made under a User Account by some means to the other User Accounts and I believe it certainly is doable however circumventing the acceptance of the EULA is probably in itself a violation of the EULA and or Commercial Redistribution EULA if your company has gone that route.

0 Kudos
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That makes sense about the player's personal use stipulation.  Sounds like we should consider the next step up.  I assume VM Workstation would pose the same problem.  

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation is going to do the same thing in this regard so that is not a viable solution to this particular issue.

JSYK, Regardless of EULA if there is a issue in that respect, I don't know I'd have to reread the EULAs if I was implementing this in a Commercial Environment, nonetheless what you're asking can be done, it's just not something that is not documented to cover the use case scenario you've presented.  While I have not done it with VMware Player I have done similar things with more complex apps then it, so I know it is doable.

0 Kudos