VMware Communities
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Where to DL VMware Tools 8.4.6 for Windows 7 x64?

Where can I officially download VMware Tools 8.4.6 for Windows 7 x64?  I have found a source at MediaFire, but I would prefer one in the VMware site.  Thanks much.  Enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just execute it without and parameters and it will install the windows.iso file to the default location and then you can select Install VMware Tools normally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thanks much for your reply. I DLed tools-windows-8.4.6.exe.tar and tried to use it to no avail. I extracted it with 7-zip and ran tools-windows-8.4.6.exe in a command prompt with the /? switch. It said /e:<path>would extract it. I ran it with this switch and in the Task Manager I see it running at a very high CPU utilization for a few seconds then msiexec.exe for a few seconds but nothing shows up in my target folder. The /l parameter shows the same behavior. I then just doubled clicked the file and it also did the same thing, installing nothing. The hashes of the .tar are as follows:

CRC32: 33230F74
MD5: FBD0F76E3CEA4F0B6C968FA8FEC06986
SHA-1: 713B9509DE8E4E3A698178E1101D796E060F1571

Two DLs yielded the same hashes.  What I am I doing incorrectly?  BTW, this is the first time I have posted in some time and I am very frustrated with the forum input process.  Right click just yields a short insert list.  I cannot preview or spellcheck my post.  It is almost unusable.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: OK I have found the SpellCheck.

Message was edited by: johnhc

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just execute it without and parameters and it will install the windows.iso file to the default location and then you can select Install VMware Tools normally.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thanks, I have found the ISO.  This is what I was looking for in my host VMware files.  I use it to make a self extracting installer that silently installs the tools when I install my guest OS.  The file I DLed from MediaFire seems to do this itself (Setup-x64.exe).  I will explore some more and see what I have.  Thanks much for your help. Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The file I DLed from MediaFire seems to do this itself (Setup-x64.exe).

I'd be very careful running executables from a third party and you could end up with a rootkit installed on your system! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, I understand. I did run it on my VM guest and it seems to work.  It is a self extracting installer and the .msi is the same as in the ISO (same hashes).  Of course there could be other modified files.  I always scan my DLs and am very careful running them, usually doing so on a VM first.  Thanks, John.

0 Kudos
r0deca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Woodyz: I have some VM without any connection to internet, so I needed those links.

What I always wonder:  why isn't those download at an easy to find place?

(well, at least I've never been able to find them  )

Regards

0 Kudos