VMware Communities
jamiehutber
Contributor
Contributor

When switching to or from guest, CPU spikes to 60% from 20% and then settles

WHenever I switch to my guest, the computer will stall for around 2/3s and the CPU jumps to around 60%. 

I am Linux and the guest is Windows 10 with guest tools installed. 

Once I am over this "spike" performance inside the VM is perfectly natural and in no way slow.

Here you see me entering the guest and then doing some things, then leaving after maybe 10 seconds.

jamiehutber_0-1614766236366.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jamiehutber
Contributor
Contributor

This is actually happening when I move the mouse between monitors.

I have 3 monitors, 2 of these are fullscreen guests and when I move the mouse between the 2 monitors that are connect and next to each other, vmware ranks up the CPU as seen in the above screenshot.

0 Kudos
jamiehutber
Contributor
Contributor

Its still happening.

I have disabled secure boot and fast boot also... Still nothing

0 Kudos
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You haven't included much information about your System, VMWare Workstation version, preferences or even the VMs themselves.

My first guess would be that this could be related to the 'Process priorities' options on being grabbed vs ungrabbed.

For example: If you have them set to run as high for grabbed, then it could end up making the host itself seem to lag for longer periods - Especially if over extended on the total actual cpu core count over the multiple VMs (and not leaving any free ones left over for your actual system)

The above doesn't seem to be what you are describing but it could be as simple as having 'any' priority differences set up that trigger the extra cpu usage while changing the priorities while also triggering the grab or ungrab. If it's just a short spike in VMWare Workstation 'doing' something and not creating an extended lag spike or an unresponsive system then tbh I'm not sure what else to say atm.

0 Kudos