VMware Communities
ReginaldM
Contributor
Contributor

What steps need to be taken so a virtual machine can not be associated in any way with another virtual machine on the same host?

Ok, so basically I play an MMO. The admins typically don't like to  see that a single machine is simultaneously online with multiple copies  of the game. I have tried using a socks proxy for each instance of the  game, but that isn't enough. They seem to also look at machine specific  ids. How can I use virtual machines to be 100% sure that they have no  way of connecting two separate game sessions?

I think at least the following need to be done (can vmware allow for this to happen?):

1. A different proxy must be used for each session (this is no problem for me)

2. Each virtual machine must have different hardware IDs

3. Each virtual machine must have a unique uuid and mac address

Are  there things that I'm missing? Is there an easy way to clone a  barebones windows installation and have each virtual machine have the  necessary values randomized? Are there certain things I need to do to  make sure that the guest is unable to see anything that could link all  virtual machines to the host? For network connection settings, does  bridged vs NAT matter? Do you think the windows product key matters?

Also, would the things I need to do be a lot easier if I had workstation, rather than player? I'm willing to pay for workstation if I need to.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ReginaldM
Contributor
Contributor

Is setting the .vmx file's ethernet0.generateAddress, uuid.location, and uuid.bios to "" enough?

0 Kudos