VMware Communities
Steven89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the difference between VMware Player and VMware Workstation?

I'm new here. I don't know is this the right place to post this. My question as title. Please guide me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With VMware Workstation you can create new virtual machine, with VMware player you cant.

You can also check this post Why should I buy Workstation when Server or Player is free?

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With VMware Workstation you can create new virtual machine, with VMware player you cant.

You can also check this post Why should I buy Workstation when Server or Player is free?

0 Kudos
Steven89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation can create new virtual machine, with VMware player you cant. Then how VMware Player run virtual machine? I don't get it.

0 Kudos
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With VMware Player you can run precreated VM, ether you create it with VMware Workstation/Server or you download it from VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace

Steven89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok..i got it..thanks anyway..

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Workstation also supports:

Command-line interface via VMrun and VIX API.

Teams

Multiple snapshots

Integrated debugging, record/replay.

0 Kudos
ijtroquim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update: As of version 3.0.0, you can create Virtual Machines (isn't that just cool?) 😃

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Player

0 Kudos