VMware Communities
Dave92
Contributor
Contributor

Webcam and Bluetooth USB passthrough problems

I'm running Workstation Player 15.5.6 (paid license) on a Windows 10 Pro 2004 host with Windows 10 2004 Pro guest. The USB controller on the guest is in USB 3.1 mode. I've tested these devices plugged in to USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.1 Gen1 ports. I'm having two problems related to USB passthrough:

1. Logitech C930e webcam passed through to guest sometimes exhibits choppy video and/or audio in Microsoft Teams and also in the Camera application when previewing (but not when recording video). Not yet tested on the host but I doubt it's a problem with the camera. When the audio goes bad, the party on the other end reports that I sound "robotic". I've also been able to reproduce this when using the Teams Echo test call. It sounds like I'm talking through a fan only much worse. I can't see the video from the other end, but some people have said it's about 5 frames per second. It also seems like when the video gets choppy the audio gets choppy at the same time. This is a high-quality enterprise webcam so I don't think the hardware is at fault.
  2. USB Bluetooth adapter passed through to the guest doesn't work properly with headset. The microphone works, but there's no audio other than an occasional blip or squawk from the earphone. This same hardware setup has been tested and confirmed fully working on the host. I understand that "share Bluetooth devices" unfortunately doesn't support headsets, but I'm passing the whole Bluetooth adapter through to the guest so I think this should work.

Support for these hardware passthrough scenarios was the reason I paid for VMware instead of using an open-source solution, but it seems that VMware has let me down. Are there any confirmed fixes for this type of problem? Please note that I've already tried all obvious things like reinstalling drivers, reseating USB cables, etc.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jhqiu
Contributor
Contributor

I'm suffering same problem with player pro 16.1

Host:  Windows 10 pro

Guest: Windows 10 pro

Workstation Pro 16.1

When I'm doing hangout meeting, I couldn't get audio output and figured out microphone caused this problem. I have to disable the microphone but this won't help me to have a hangout meeting successfully. 

0 Kudos
quantumburnz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing an issue with an AVerMedia PW313 webcam as well. If I pass-thru the web cam and open the Camera app, there's serious lag. Microsoft Teams in the Guest OS is virtually unusable. Everything works fine in the Host OS.

• VMWare Workstation 16.2.1 build-18811642
  • Host OS: Win 10 Pro 10.0.19044
  • Guest OS: Same
0 Kudos