VMware Communities
selcuk_ylc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wait on welcome Page

Dear All,
   I installed VMware Workstation 16 Player. After the installation i tried to open the VMware Player. Firstly Licence screen was opened, I continued with Player as non-comercial option. Then, Welcome screen was opened and I couldn't continue or close the page. I waited hours and hours but not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Orkide15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is now a wonder 🙂 but it works now. I do not know why. I have installed VMWare Player tree times. At the second time I have installed VMWare WS Player on a different folder like "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player 16" and then uninstalled it again. After the third installation on the default folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player" it works as expected.

But I know this is a another solution (if it is the solution, because I am not sure) as the solution which I found in Internet for version 15. Unfortunately I could not find this solution until yet.

My Windows 10 was a clean system. My first problem with VMWare Player was occured with version 15 after some Windows Updates).

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may wish to ask this on the VMware Workstation community where they discuss VMware Workstation running on Windows. . This community focuses on VMware Fusion that runs on Macs. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the screenshot I cannot see the host OS (Windows / Linux ?) so making it a bit harder to make a suggestion.

Have you tried to forcefully close this welcome screen?
- on Windows using task manager, locate the vmware process and kill it
- on Linux from console find the PID using "ps -ax" and then use "kill <pid>"

or the easier workaround, have you tried rebooting the host?

After closing this welcome screen via killing the process or rebooting the host, does vmware player start up normally now?

PS: I moved your post to the workstation player area, so no need to repost.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, as Wila said.

On Windows, it doesn't anymore ask for a reboot, but that may still be necessary in order to get things working - like after an install of software.

0 Kudos
selcuk_ylc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS is Windows. I killed it from task manage and from start menu I opend VMWorkStation and result still is same.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you reboot it?

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If reboot does not help, what is the Windows version? If Win 10, which of them (Settings - System - About, 2004 or something)?

Is there something in a log -file in Temp (user and system)? Is there something in Event Viewer?

Do you have all the latest Updates of Windows installed?

If none of that helps, this looks like a generic software installation problem - does that sound anything common with your computer? Unable to write into registry comes first in mind. Reasons of that are many, rather uncommon but none of them are easy to handle. But let's see if there are easier possibilities. I do hope that you have all the real Administrator rights ("real" as opposed to "some admin rights" as might be the case in some corporate PC)?

0 Kudos
Orkide15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue with VMWare Player 16.

I had this issue also with Version 15 and found some helpful hints in Internet which helped me with Version 15. But unfortunately I can not remember me where and I have now the same issue again.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 20H2 and the system is uptodate.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Orkide15 

This wasn't solved in the above. There is something wrong in your Windows in terms of administrating it. This isn't normal behavior for Windows 10. The questions are thus the same as above.

In addition, have you run Windows Updates after VMware installation, especially run a Feature Upgrade. If you have, reinstall VMware that might solve the case (in this particular scenario). Use the latest version 16 since you have rather latest Windows 10 now.

0 Kudos
Orkide15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, but you dont want to understand that some users have different experiences than yours.

If you can't help, it is fine. But you cannot say "something is wrong in your environment" if you do not know my environment.

I hope I can find the help source again and solve the problem. Then I'll get get back to this message.

Regards.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Orkide15 
I understand very well what your problem is. What I meant was that your Windows system behavior is not what happens by default in Windows. I'm using CLEAN Windows 10 systems to test these and I can very well see the abnormality in a correctly working system compared to your system which doesn't work correctly - thus it is working wrong. This is just normal English, nothing personal, nothing sinister.

As a personal OPINION, when software installation on a Windows system is not working correctly, there is something very wrong, somewhere.

This kind of "wrong" can happen because of VERY many reasons. I already asked about a few very obvious candidates for this - twice, but no anwers. Event log and "temp logs" was already mentioned above. Those are the tools of the trade to get hang on the problem. I could easily add many more reasons, like 3rd Party security software of many kinds. But there is no point in analysing further, if nothing is answered.

If you find a solution somewhere that works, without doing further analysis of your system, let us know - that is the idea on this discussion Forum. The idea here is also that if somebody cannot give you an answer, you wait if somebody else has a better idea. There isn't much point in messing with those who try to solve your case.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The analysis of this problem, providing that all is correct that has been said before, would be something like this. This is of course speculative, but this explains why my questions. Further info might also solve the case immediately. I leave out the trivial choices that would also solve the case (like Windows 10 Upgrade or errors when installing or old 16.x version) - some of these have already been discussed in this thread, but not answered.

Since the same problem was with an older version of VMware and because this also indicates an older version of Windows 10 being used, this is something typical for this particular system or the user case. The immediate choices would be like the following:

- Administrator rights are not real Windows rights. This can easily be the case on a corporate PC - this is already asked but not answered

- wording suggests that the computer has stayed the same. Thus same programs are probably run. This give multiple choices:

a) Some 3rd Party security software is preventing VMware licensing to write (perhaps to registry or somewhere else). This can be a hidden program on a corporate PC OR virus scanner that does much more than is anticipated (works as a firewall) OR misconfiguration of such a program - this item as a whole was asked before

b) Some other application has blocked the write to the registry. This isn't very likely to happen with mainstream applications but with misc & beta applications this can happen - this item as a whole was already mentioned with the request to study especially Event Viewer

c) Some other application has done something else to prevent VMware Player to start correctly. Those include rather difficult to find problems - environment PATH messed up with new entries or wrong order of entries OR various .dll problems - these possibilities are also included in the request to study Event Viewer and log files in "temp" (system and user)

- things that are now ruled out based on the questions: a) Windows installer compatibility, since System is updated, b) bad download of VMware since this problem has been repeating with different versions, c) wrong way of installing since this has been once corrected (most likely with something else than the install itself)

If somebody has already some time in the past, had this problem and solved it, does these lists ring any bell?

0 Kudos
Orkide15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is now a wonder 🙂 but it works now. I do not know why. I have installed VMWare Player tree times. At the second time I have installed VMWare WS Player on a different folder like "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player 16" and then uninstalled it again. After the third installation on the default folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player" it works as expected.

But I know this is a another solution (if it is the solution, because I am not sure) as the solution which I found in Internet for version 15. Unfortunately I could not find this solution until yet.

My Windows 10 was a clean system. My first problem with VMWare Player was occured with version 15 after some Windows Updates).

RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Orkide15 

OK, thanks for letting everybody know 🙂  This was something that I didn't expect at all. Based on your description, it doesn't work, if you use something else than the default folder. Obviously, this is a software installation bug, but not something that I have confronted.

I can only speculate on the source of the problem, but: Typically, the installation folder is stored in the registry. Every part of the software uses that location, but now in this case something in the software does NOT read the location from registry, but uses a default folder (which should never be done). This kind of makes sense that licensing key check, makes this error - if something does, I think.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Orkide15  Can you mark this as solved?

0 Kudos
Orkide15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes from my opinion, but this ticket was opened by @selcuk_ylc.

Actually, he should check the solution and close it if it is successful. Or?

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, you are right.

I will leave this to moderators, if they want to do something about this.

@wila ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It's up to the topic starter to mark a question as solved or not.
This is normally not for a user moderator to decide upon.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
selcuk_ylc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, I have started to use Oracle Virtual Box. But I tried solution (cahanging installation folder) but it didnt solve my problem. I tried several times with restart but not. 
I have admin rights in my Windows System
I use win 10 Enterprise

0 Kudos
selcuk_ylc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried again for several times and it is solved.

0 Kudos