VMware Communities
daehl
Contributor
Contributor

WMWare Player - VMWware Tools 9.9.3+ hangs on installation of Thin Print drivers (9.9.2 worked fine)

I made the mistake of accepting the upgrade to VMWare Tools 9.9.3 build 2759765 and no matter what I do it will not complete an installation that includes the Thin Print drivers. The previous version worked fine, but now that I have downloaded 9.9.3 I can't revert back to an earlier version. I'd like to reinstall VMware Tools 9.9.2 build 2496486 but it doesn't appear to be available anywhere to download anymore. Am I missing something? Can anyone help me obtain this older version?

I am experiencing this problem on every version of VMWare PlayerI've tried (including VMWare Workstation Player 12 and VMWare Player 7.1.2). My Host operating System is Windows 7 Pro SP1 (x64), and my guest operating System is the same. The guest operating system is a clean install and no 3rd party software or utilities have been installed (including all anti-virus software). There is also plenty of storage space available on the guest C: drive so storage space is not an issue.

If I attempt to install VMWare Tools 9.9.3 with the Thin Print driver, it hangs indefinitely with no error message. I've let it go as long as a 72 hrs and it never gets around to completion, so it's not a matter of time or waiting for it to complete.

If I disable the Thin Print drivers it installs VMWare Tools within just a few minutes, but I need the ability to print via the Thin Print Drivers.

I have explored the following VMWare link: Index of /45848/tools  There are quite a few versions of VMWare Tools located there, but nothing above version 9.4.15, or below 10.0.0.

Is there any way to locate VMWare Tools version 9.9.2 for Windows (x64) somewhere? or does anyone know how to troubleshoot a hung VMWare Tools Installation? or to manually install compatible Thin Print Drivers?

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated (except for advice to run without the Thin Print drivers, or wait longer for installation to complete)

ps: I have also tried installing higher versions of VMWare Tools for Windows (VSphere & ESX) such as 9.10.1 and 10.0.0, but they also hang on installation of the Thin Print Driver. I'm also confused as to why if these versions are compatible with WMware Workstation 12 Player, they aren't automatically downloaded by it. It seems to want to automatically download & install VMWare Tools version 9.9.3 for some reason. It's not clear to me why there are so very many versions of WMware Tools available for VSphere & ESX, but only one version for Player.

0 Kudos
0 Replies