VMware Communities
eigilkrogh
Contributor
Contributor

WIFI VMWare Workstation Player on Windows 10

Hi

I have VMWare Workstation Player  16.1.2 running in Windows 10.

How do I enable WIFI to/from the guest OS ?

In the guest OS I can’t select WIFI and in VMWare Workstation Player  16.1.2 Setup I can’t select a WIFI network adapter.

— Eigil

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So far as I know, Workstation still doesn't offer a way to 'pass-through' your wi-fi adapter to a guest so that it shows up in a guest.

Instead it starts with (or you can add some) its own virtualized network adapter that can 'use' your hosts connection, in this case your wifi if you are already connected. By default I think it starts with NAT, which should work for you 'out of the box' however if you can't use the internet you could try switching it to Bridged. Be warned that some wifi router configurations won't play well with bridged wireless adapters though.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

You should try to create a bridge network that points to the wifi network card, but VMware Workstation Player does not have any network customization tools, you should switch to VMware workstation which has the Virtual Network Editor tool (VMware player uses the auto-bridge).

Or on the internet, there are various workarounds to your problem. Like extracting the tool (Virtual Network Editor) from a trial version of VMware Workstation and using it for the player. 

Obviously, I don't guarantee that it will work and if you have to use the environment in production I recommend that you buy a workstation license.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos