VMware Communities
Sockenfresser
Contributor
Contributor

VmwareUser.exe and VmwareTray.exe not started under Win7x86

Hi,

I migrated my old x86 Win7 installation to VMWare Player 3.1.4 build-385536 on Win7x64 SP1. I installed the VMware Tools in the VM. Now the Win7x86 is running in the VMWare Player but I cannot resize the vm Window as usually. Unity is not available too. After looking around I recognized that the tray icon is missing and that vmwareuser.exe and vmwaretray.exe are not running. I had a look at the registry and the are in the Windows/CurrentVersion/Run registry key. But they are not starting. I started the manually but, nothing. Then I tried to start them from an elevated prompt and voila, they are up and running and resizing and unity was working. So I tried to change the compatibillity settings to "always run as administrator" but this didn't work. Any other ideas? It`s really anoying having to start them manually all the time. Anyone using Win7x86 in VMWare Player?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lsavage
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to run the VMWareTray.exe (found in "C:\Program Files\VMWare" folder on both Windows 7 x86 and x64).  So, I added it to my "Startup" folder.  Since I'm running these VMs under the MSDN license and I'm the only one using them, that will work.  If you are doing something different, you may need to add it to the "All Users\Startup" folder.

So, this seemed to work under both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.  Of course, at this point, I'm running VMWare Workstation 8 with updated tools.  The tray icon appears and when I click on it, the "User Account Control" stuff comes up.  After I select that yes, "I want to complete this action by entering my credentials on the authentic Windows logon screen" and then use "<Ctrl><Alt><Insert>" to get to the logon screen, then the tools dialog appears.

It may be that if you are still having trouble, you need to do something in addition to what I've done.  (I suspect that VMware has done something to "fix" the VMWareTray.exe since this original post, but I can't be sure.)

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Lsavage
Contributor
Contributor

Oops!  That path (at least under a Workstation install) is "C:\Program FIles\VMware\VMware Tools".

0 Kudos