VMware Communities
herouka
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware player and Shared folders

Hi,

I 'am trying to prevent users to access the shared folders because of security reasons. I ve tried two things that don't work :

1- I setting the .VMX file with this option isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE" but each time the VM is runned the user can set the sharing folders option.

2 - I have configured the config.ini file and preferences.ini file with that parametter same things.

Is there a way on VMplayer  5 and 6 to restrict the shared folder to have it greyed ?

IS there a way to do it though registry ( WINDOWS 7) ?

Ps: I have also tried through VM tools to disable sharing options during the installation but same thing.

Please help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This could help (actually it is about VMware Fusion - a Mac Player's counterpart): https://kis.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pages/vmwaresharedfldr.aspx. I cannot validate with Player - I currently have a Mac

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I already gave herouka the answer to this in Workstation and sharing folders and providing a link to VMware Fusion: Configuring Shared Folder Access is about worthless as the Host OS and VMware products are not well aligned from a directional standpoint! Smiley Wink

The only way to keep a User from using VMware Shared Folders is turn off/disable the feature and encrypt the VM and set restrictions in VMware Fusion and or VMware Workstation and then run it under VMware Player if that's the target Hypervisor.  Additionally it has to be a Licensed version of VMware Player to run a restricted VM, the (Non-commercial use only) or free version cannot run a restricted VM.

0 Kudos