VMware Communities
JSEEMB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware player 5 - problem with bridged connection

Hello Everyone!

I am writing to You because I have a quite big problem with bridged network in Vmware player 5.0.2. No matter what I do it just does not want to work. NAT and Host-only options work fine and there is no problem with them. My NIC has vmware bridge protocol, 'automatic bridging settings' and ' virtual network editor' are set to this particular card. Only thing I can think of is firewall (Norton 360) which can block the connection but every component of vmware software is allowed to work and NAT service works so I don't know if that could be the case. I would be very grateful for any hints. Smiley Happy

I attached pdf file with screenshots showing my configuration. 

P.S Norton options are in polish but they basically say that Vmware is allowed and that incoming netBIOS'/netBIOS name' communication and incoming/outgoing ICMP communication is blocked.

P.S In case of any vocabulary mistakes I apologize 😜

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, the host's NIC is virtualized / abstracted by the virtual machine monitor, and presented to the guest in a standard way - always wired.  Doesn't matter whether the host uses wired or wireless.  Was just letting you know that you can't use wireless-specific tools in your guest on a virtual NIC that way.  The only way to get wireless in a guest is to use a USB wireless adapter, and attach that to the guest.  It will obviously need to then have the drivers for the USB NIC you use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Realize that the guest will NOT see the virtual NIC as a wireless one, only a wired one (AMD Lance compatible, or Intel E1000 compatible, depending on the configuration).

0 Kudos
JSEEMB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. Smiley Happy well I have seen in guest's network manager that there is only wired connection available but I thought that it's some kind of mistake and that I set wrong configuration. but to be sure I have to ask:  does it mean that host has to use wired NIC for bridged connection and there is no other way to use this mode? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, the host's NIC is virtualized / abstracted by the virtual machine monitor, and presented to the guest in a standard way - always wired.  Doesn't matter whether the host uses wired or wireless.  Was just letting you know that you can't use wireless-specific tools in your guest on a virtual NIC that way.  The only way to get wireless in a guest is to use a USB wireless adapter, and attach that to the guest.  It will obviously need to then have the drivers for the USB NIC you use.

0 Kudos
JSEEMB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thank you for your explanation! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos