VMware Communities
mctiew
Contributor
Contributor

Vmplayer 3.1, Linux host, Unable to support 3D graphics on Dell E5400 with intel graphics

I am using Vmplayer 3.1 which I downloaded a few days ago, I am running it on a Linux host, which graphics library is very very new, unfortunately it is using Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller. When I run vmplayer, it gives me a warning saying that "This computer does not have a 3D graphics system supported by VMware Player". I am able to have 3D graphics in compiz and cairo-dock, however I can't have 3D graphics with VMPlayer.

I have read a few similar posts like mine. Is there a solution available ?

I am able to dual boot this machine into Windows, and run VMplayer in Windows XP on the same computer. Before I do that, I want to find out if it will improve ? ie will I able to get 3D graphics when I run VMPlayer in Windows XP running on the same hardware ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware community forums.

unfortunately it is using Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller. When I run vmplayer, it gives me a warning saying that "This computer does not have a 3D graphics system supported by VMware Player". I am able to have 3D graphics in compiz and cairo-dock, however I can't have 3D graphics with VMPlayer.

As you already indicate "unfortunately" the intel integrated graphic chipset is a bit of a lightweight feature wise.

That indeed can cause 3D compatibility issues. If you already enabled compiz then you'd be running the correct drivers...

The graphics are pretty close to being able to provide the 3D support (depending on the chipset used) so you need a bit of luck here.

I am able to dual boot this machine into Windows, and run VMplayer in Windows XP on the same computer. Before I do that, I want to find out if it will improve ? ie will I able to get 3D graphics when I run VMPlayer in Windows XP running on the same hardware ?

I would certainly try that if I was you. It is certainly possible that the intel display driver under windows does work a bit better and that you'll get basic 3D support working.

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A solution maybe available. Can you post your vmware.log? It might say why 3D graphics is not supported.

You will be able to get 3D graphics with VMware Player on your Windows XP host.

0 Kudos
mishamzs
Contributor
Contributor

OpenSUSE 11.3 kernel 2.6.34-9-desktop

MSI CR620: Intel Core i3-330M / Intel GMA HD

VMware® Player 3.1.0 build-261024

3D graphics acceleration will be disabled. This computer does not have a 3D graphics system supported by VMware Player

libdrm-2.4.21-19.2.i586

Mesa-7.8.2-25.1.i586

xorg-x11-server-7.5_1.8.0-53.1.i586

xorg-x11-driver-input-7.5-49.1.i586

xorg-x11-driver-video-7.5-59.1.i586

xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy-2.9.1-2.5.i586

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

vmware.log

Jun 30 09:42:27.919: mks| OpenGL Version: "2.1 Mesa 7.8.2" (2.1.0)

Jun 30 09:42:27.919: mks| OpenGL Vendor: "Tungsten Graphics, Inc"

Jun 30 09:42:27.919: mks| OpenGL Renderer: "Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile GEM 20100328 2010Q1 x86/MMX/SSE2"

Jun 30 09:42:27.925: mks| GLManager: Required extension GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc is missing.

See .

0 Kudos
urbangibbon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the very quick response. I am afraid I am a linux novice.

On the link you posted, I followed it to:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/s3tc_index.html

Should I then download the libtxc_dxtn040524.tar.gz file, or something else? How should I install that file? Anywhere special?

0 Kudos
MarkSpanner
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - maybe this thread will help you like it did me:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/273969?tstart=0

0 Kudos