VMware Communities
kopfjaeger1
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Workstation Player 16 freezes my Server

Hello everyone,

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with VmWare Player 16 on it and about 8 Windows VM's. After a few days the server freezes and I am forced to force shutdown the server from the pannel (its a dedicated server from a hosting company).

Server specs:

Intel Xeon E5-1650V3 -> 6 Cores = 12 Hyperthread. -> Is it enough for 8 Windows VM'S? Maybe this is the main problem?

SSD SATA 480 GB Datacenter

8x RAM 16384 MB DDR4 ECC reg

Can anyone help me to find out the reason why does it cause system freeze?

Thank you:)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the Workstation Player area, now that I’ve reported it, since this has nothing to do with a vSphere security advisory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
kopfjaeger1
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, Im sorry I didnt see the categories. Thank you:)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
if you run Ubuntu without swap partition and assigned 2 VCPUs and 16gb vRAM to each VM and if you also use Player 16.23 then nobody would be surprised ....
Anyway - details will help.

Ulli

kopfjaeger1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have 126 GB of Ram and I assigned only 8 Gb for Vm => 8Vm's * 8Gb = 64Gb => RAM is absolutely not the problem.

I doubt the problem is not enough CPU Power => only 6 Cores. Every Windows Vm needs at least 2 Cores to work smooth.

Or is it the Vmware too? Its strange because only after few days the server freezes.

Can you please give me some further explanations why you think that Player is a bad choice?

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos