VMware Communities
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

VmPlayer: Win 10 Host + Ubuntu 20.04 Guest screen blinking

Hi everyone! I/m using VmWare Player 16 on Windows 10 host and Ubuntu 20.04 as a guest. When I moved my VMs to new laptop (Dell 5411 10850H + MX250 GPU) I faced annoying issue - My VM screen blinking, flickering or i don't know how to name it. i'll try to explain:

When I click it different part of windows it becomes lighter or darker, imagine that you plays with contrast very fast.

It doesn't depends on which monitor i used VM (external or internal).

OpenVM tools are installed.

Is there any iseas how to solve this issue. I had this VM on two laptops berfore, but only with UHD graphics, nothing like this happens.

Here the video how it looks like. gray background blinking is the blinking itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4jEm8VioM&feature=youtu.be

SOLVED: Looks like 16.01 fixed problem.

UPD: NOT SOLVED. STILL Blinking

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

As you mentioned, it happens only on Intel UHD graphics.

What you can do for the laptop with Nvidia MX250 GPU is either

(1) set Nvidia as "Preferred graphics processor" instead of automatic in the Nvidia Control Panel

or

(2) shut down the VM, add the following line to the vmx configuration file.

mks.dx11.vendorID = "0x10de"

Option (2) is to avoid having the MX250 always being used for ANY application to save on battery power and make sure that the VM is using the Nvidia MX250 regardless of power source for the laptop host.

The indicator that the VM is using the Nvidia for the 3D accelerated graphics is that you should see one vmware-vmx.exe in the "Nvidia GPU Activity" for each VM that uses it.

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

I mentioned, that i was not happening on two previous laptops with only UHD, now laptop with 2 GPUs. I tried to set UHD for vmware in Nvidia control panel but with no effect. I will try tour advice and return with results. thanks.

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

No success.. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The VM has to be shut down (not suspended) when you edit the vmx configuration file (assuming you use option 2).

Anyway, with either option, do you see the vmware-vmx.exe in the GPU Activity while the VM is running? You should also see the mkssandbox.exe with version 16. If you don't see it that means the Intel UHD is still being used.

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

I see it as GPU1 which is nvidia. nothing changed. screen stiil blinking

any ideas?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I don't understand what you mean by "GPU1 which is nvidia". I have seen VMs where the VM display is not rendered properly or flashing when the Intel UHD GPU is used.

This is what I mean by Nvidia GPU Activity.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

I watched it in windows task manager. don't have gpu activity monitor like yours.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You go to the Nvidia Control Panel and select "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area". The Nvidia GPU Activity icon is the square with the red/green.

This same screenshot also shows Option 1.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

yes got.it. VMvare is present. i forced vmware to use nvidia in nvidia control panel settings/ vill monitor

vmware.jpg

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

Added video to the first post to understand how it looks

0 Kudos
beast_drc
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like 16.1 fixed problem.

0 Kudos