VMware Communities
TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT Error

Hi there.

I wondered if someone could help me.

I am trying to create a CentOS VM using VMware Workstation 16 Player, but when I try to power on the VM, I get an error message - 'Attached'

'Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT'

If possible, please could you help me as this VM was working perfectly fine a few months ago.

Kind Regards,

Tamoor

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you're not planning to run nested VMs (VMs inside your VMWare VM), just disable the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" checkbox in VM Settings→CPU, and the message will go away; if you do plan to run nested VMs, you will have to disable Hyper-V on the host.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you're not planning to run nested VMs (VMs inside your VMWare VM), just disable the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" checkbox in VM Settings→CPU, and the message will go away; if you do plan to run nested VMs, you will have to disable Hyper-V on the host.

TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ender_,

I received this message too. Is this because I have Hyper V enabled?

TS02_1-1609251965171.png

Also, I was reading some info online and apparently VMware and Microsoft worked together in order to allow users to use VMware Workstation Player when Hyper-V was enabled.

Surely, I shouldn't be having these issues since I am using both: VMware Workstation 16 Player and am running Windows 10 20H2.

Link to Blog -> https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/vmware-workstation-now-supports-hyper-v-mode.html

Regards,

Tamoor

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Which Windows version do you have? VMWare supports Hyper-V API on Windows 10 2004 and newer only.

0 Kudos
TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using Windows 10 Pro

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There are currently 11 major versions of Windows 10 Pro (3 of which are supported) - right-click the Start button, select Run from the menu and run winver, that will tell you the exact version you're running.

ender__0-1609275400605.png

The part in red is your Windows 10 version - if it's 1909 or older, VMWare won't work if Hyper-V is enabled.

0 Kudos
TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ender_,

This is the current version that my system is running.

TS02_0-1609276888133.png

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, this is new enough to support Hyper-V. I missed nested virtualization part of the error in your first image - disable that in the VM settings, and it should work.

0 Kudos
TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But, I am intending to use 3 other VM's within my main VM. So I can't do that.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you want to do nested virtualization, you will have to disable Hyper-V on the host - follow the link in my first message. Hyper-V API currently doesn't support nested virt, so you can have one or the other.

0 Kudos
TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see. I'll follow the steps you gave earlier tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help so far ender_

0 Kudos
jmjohnson85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just want to add that for me running this command:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

resolved the nested virtualization issue for me (required a reboot to take affect though). Of course I can no longer use WSL2/Docker/etc.. on the host machine until I revert the setting back to 'auto'.

TS02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ender_,

Sorry for no updates. I followed the instructions you sent and my VM seems to be working okay. If anything goes wrong I'll be sure to post something on the community page.

Thank you once again.

Take care and Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
hunk1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please check my tutorial to resolve this issue which i have in this page

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Nested-Virtualization/Virtualization-Intel-VT-xEPT-it-not-supporte...

0 Kudos
Vishal32
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @hunk1989, I tried with all possible options. Nothing worked. 

0 Kudos
hmtm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You may try the solution https://github.com/paolo-projects/auto-unlocker/issues/31

It's worked for me in Windows 10 Home edition

0 Kudos
iraklis88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks, this worked for me!

0 Kudos
jiranda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This might be due to a Windows virtual machine configuration that you mistakenly set or a software you installed changes it. Don’t waste your time into install a new virtual machine or reconfigure your VMWare machine because the last time you still started it successfully and it may cause the problem go further and other problems may arise.

Last time, we face this issue after installing the Docker Desktop software which is also a virtualization software

Try solution below:

https://mayviti.com/vmware-virtualized-intel-vt-xept-is-not-supported-pc-fixed/

0 Kudos
louey11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I didnt have this issue before uninstalling Vmware workstation pro and reinstall it again.

Now, I disabled Hyper-V on Windows 10 and still have the same issue.

Any solution for that ?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
vassallod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This command followed by a reboot of the workstation worked for me.

0 Kudos