VMware Communities
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualising Windows 2000 equipment to run on VM Player.

My company have a number of Windows 2000 machines onsite running in a production environment. We want to migrate from a physical machine to a VM environment to ensure continued service. Upgrading windows is not an option as some of the software supports legacy equipment and there is no modern alternative.

Is there a method to image the PC in R-Drive or Acronis and then convert the image to run on the VM Player?. The current VMWare Centre Stand Along converter does not support Windows 2000 and the older version I have VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816 generates an error when I run the program.

Any suggestions or support is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@hwshaw 

Have you actually tried using the latest version of Converter Standalone to do your P2V? I believe it should still attempt the conversion, and you need SP4 installed on Windows 2000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hwshaw
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to install the latest version of standalone converter the error appears stating this needs Windows XP or later to enable the install.

To note the system does have Windows 2000 SP4 installed.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@hwshaw 

Install it on a newer system and attempt remote cloning - see page 11: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.2/convsa_62_guide.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos