VMware Communities
RayDell404
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualised VM keeps getting BSOD due to Network Adapter

Hi All,

We had this old pc running at a factory which kept crashing i.e would restart randomly. So I virtualised to get rid of the hardware issues. It's running Windows Server 2003 R2 (image below).

RayDell404_0-1692672816734.png

The VM continues to crash. I went through some troubleshooting exercises that I looked up online and setup windows to get BSOD when there is an issue and create a dump file. I analyzed the dump file and through further research online found that the issue is related to the network adapter. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the network card, issue is still there.

RayDell404_3-1692673427957.png

RayDell404_4-1692673470748.png

I read somewhere that I might be able to use the network card driver from VM tools but when I do an 'update driver' and search for it in the virtual optical drive which has the VM Tools, it doesn't find anything.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this please. Am I on the right track? What should my next step be to resolve this issue?

We can't get rid of or upgrade this VM for now as it is running some critical legacy software.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product is being used to run the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RayDell404
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 16 player

0 Kudos