VMware Communities
DeeBeeAwesome
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine will not display full screen

I guess I'm mostly posting this to gripe. After searching the internet for a solution and finding one, I am honestly dumbfounded how a product is "shipped" that doesn't have the ability to full screen built-in. Why in the holy hell do you have to delve to the depths of having to alter your registry just to make a virtual machine display fully scalable? Does anyone who works here have a reasonable explanation as to why your product does not inherently allow you to make your virtual machine full screen? This is not a product "feature". This should work "out of the box". I have not found a reasonable answer to this anywhere on the internet. Maybe someone can let us all know what was going through VMWare's head when they decided to release a software without one of the most important functions enabled by default. Maddening.

Using Windows 10 & VMWare Workstation 16 Player.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please do not shoot the messenger, but I'm going to ask a (hopefully not) silly question! Did you download vmware tools immediately after installation? This normally fixes the full screen issue for me.

0 Kudos
DeeBeeAwesome
Contributor
Contributor

After doing research the time between posting this and your reply, I have. I suppose the issue is still at hand though. If this is required to enable your VM display to scale, why is it not bundled with Workstation Player? As a beginner using virtual machines, it should not be this hard just to have a vm that works properly. Or if it is, it should be explained during the download process. VMWare leaving users in the dark to find their own answers is downright stupidity.

I've mounted the .iso image for VM Tools, but the setups do not run. Even when running them as admin.

0 Kudos
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is offered to you the first time you launch your virtual machine. I suppose that it's not automatic, because of the large variety of supported guest operating systems.

By the way, while the guest operating system will open at full screen, the initial splash screen will not. If your gripe is with that, then I may have led you up the garden path.

0 Kudos
DeeBeeAwesome
Contributor
Contributor

No matter what I set the display settings to prior to installing say Ubuntu, it is still this size . What is going on here?

0 Kudos
DeeBeeAwesome
Contributor
Contributor

And to be clear, now the display settings are grayed out.

0 Kudos
oligarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no need to adjust the resolution prior to installation. Leave it at native....vmware tools should do the rest.

0 Kudos
DeeBeeAwesome
Contributor
Contributor

Left the settings alone. No change. VMWare tools setup executable will not open. Mounted iso image and none of the programs run. Will bring up a prompt window asking me to allow it to run, but it never does.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You might be describing the "stretch guest" feature that exists in Workstation Pro but not Workstation Player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos