VMware Communities
Hekmaya
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine failure due to Power lost

Hi all,

My virtual machine fail to boot because of power lost, here is the error it said.

Hekmaya_0-1700790801734.png

I followed the instruction to get the metadata, Please take time and help me to solve out the problem.

I thank you guys so much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Your attached archive only contains the data fro the descriptor .vmdk file, but not for the data files.

Please make sure that you drag&drop the VM's folder (not just a single file) onto the batch script.

André

0 Kudos
Hekmaya
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry my mistake, i repost the file.

Please look at it!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've not seen such a strange metadata issue so far.
Two of the files contain several duplicate pointers, with most of the pointers adjacent to each other.

Anyway, I "fixed" the metadata by deleting the duplicate entries. Since I don't know which pointer was the correct one, I had to make some 50:50 assumptions. Therefore make sure that you backup the VM's files/folder prior to applying the modifications!

To inject the modified metadata into the .vmdk file, please download/extract dsfi.exe from https://sanbarrow.com/files/dsfok.zip.
With "dsfi.exe" and the extracted .bin files from the attached .zip archive in the VM's folder, run the following command.

dsfi.exe "Win7 x64 DD-s024.vmdk" 0 524288 "Metadata-Win7 x64 DD-s024-3600875520-fixed.bin"
dsfi.exe "Win7 x64 DD-s025.vmdk" 0 524288 "Metadata-Win7 x64 DD-s025-3913285632-fixed.bin"

Usage: dsfi.exe <destination> <offset> <size> <source>

Once done, either mount the virtual disk, and extract/backup important data, or at least create a snapshot prior to powering on the VM, so that the current files won't get modified.

André

0 Kudos
Hekmaya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I followed your step and my virtual machine turn on again like a charm. You really save my life.

I'm now backing up the data in case of some kind of failure again.!

I thank you so much.

0 Kudos