VMware Communities
unkilbeeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Disk size limit?

I am trying to create a Windows 2000 guest machine on a Ubuntu 7.10 (AMD64) host. I've tried to use EasyVMX to create both the VMX and VMDK files, but no matter what size virtual disks I create, all Windows sees is 8G. I've also downloaded the 20G disks from Forever for Now, and still only see 8G.

I'm uisng the 64-bit version of VMware Player 2.02.

I just tried booting to an Ubuntu iso image, and it sees all 30G (from EasyVMX.)

I've messed with the virtual BIOS settings, hoping that would make a difference, but with no luck. I have installed Win2k on numerous physical machines with large disks, so I'm at a loss as to why Windows won't see the complete virtual disk using VMware Player.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

make sure you're using a Windows 2000 with either SP3 or SP4 slipstreamed install media

do not use older Windows 2000 without any SP medias

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

make sure you're using a Windows 2000 with either SP3 or SP4 slipstreamed install media

do not use older Windows 2000 without any SP medias

0 Kudos
unkilbeeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that makes sense. I tried installing with the original Win2k and then installing SP4, hoping that it would then recognize the rest of the disk, but no such luck.

Unfortunately, I think this may mean that we'll just have to bite the bullet and go with XP. XP sees the entire disk. But it's XP. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

have a look at this popular free tool http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

you can manually try to slipstream W2K SP4 into your current RTM install media, and create a new bootable ISO containing W2KSP4 from scratch

never tried with W2K but works fine with XP, and the website reports W2K as supported...

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Another workaraound might be to install Win2K, then install SP4. Then use a partition program to resize the partition that Win2K resides on to utilize the entire virtual disk. I have had to do this in the past. It isn't the fastest method, but it should get you through...

Regards!

0 Kudos