VMware Communities
fdalton14
Contributor
Contributor

VPN work around!

I have used VirtualBox and I know I can perform this function there, however i am unhappy with virtual box in general. So i will lay out what I am trying to do.

I am a Developer/Consultant, sometimes I have to us VPN's to access the customers systems when I am working on their products. However when I do so sometimes they kill my personal internet connection to anything else in the world. I want to bypass this, by hosting the VPN whether it is via adding a virtual NIC or something else. I want to still able able to work on my actual computer performing other tasks while being able to connect to the VPN and only have their network control effect the Virtual Machine.

This the only thing that is stopping me from purchasing this product right now. If there was a trial option I would have tried it myself.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, I'm in the same boat and I will routinely use either vSphere VM in my lab or a VM hosted in Fusion to do exactly this. Never had any problems.

0 Kudos
MFrymanCiber
Contributor
Contributor

I know exactly what you mean, and it's the same reason I've been doing all my VPN stuff for over 10 years using VMware Workstation.  It works fine, most of the time.

I have a couple main VMs I use, like one Windows 10 Pro and one Ubuntu Linux to use for nearly all my VPN stuff.  I do work for customers sometimes and they have a variety of VPN systems and required clients, plus my own company's VPN.  I use them all in Windows (and Linux when available) so they're perfect for this kind of work, and like you said so the VPN doesn't mess with your main desktop (host OS) networking, etc.

The only problem I have is with the Sonicwall Mobile Connect (aka SonicWall Connect Tunnel) VPN client.  That damn thing kills my VMware network connection somehow nearly every time, and so is unusable.  But that's a Sonicwall issue, not a VPN or VMware issue.  All other VPN's work perfectly, in my experience.

Michael Fryman Solutions Architect Ciber, Inc. www.ciber.com
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

This the only thing that is stopping me from purchasing this product right now. If there was a trial option I would have tried it myself.

Workstation Pro does have a 30-day trial.

0 Kudos