VMware Communities
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

VPN not working, need help with settings

Host machine is running Windows 7 64 bit, VMWare player 3.13

Guest machine is running Windows XP 32Bit, SP3 - this guest is converted from my work image

Network access is being delivered to the guest via Bridged Networking

When I am at work and connected to my office network (either wired or wireless), the guest machine has full internet and intranet access, including Lotus Notes and Sametime

When I am at home, connected within the guest machine using AT&T Net Client 7.6.3, I can connect to the VPN, and have full access to Lotus Notes, but I cannot connect to Sametime, nor can I access almost any of my intranet sites

Any ideas?  I'm sure it is some setting that I have not checked correctly but I have not been able to troubleshoot the answer

I am waiting for my registration to be approved on attnetclient.com to submit this question to them as well.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you disable "automatic bridging" via vmnetcfg.exe yet ?

0 Kudos
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

I have not, and I'm not sure it will resolve my issue.  I had to travel on business over the past few days, and while connecting to the internet at hotels, conference rooms, and the train station, I was able to complete the VPN link with full access, which tells me that my VPN settings are fine, as are my VMWare networking settings.

This is obviously a router issue that I will have to review.  I'll try troubleshooting again and post an update.

0 Kudos
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've tried mucking with my router to eliminate this issue, including placing the guest machine in the DMZ for unrestricted access, but I still come up with the same issue that I cannot connect to sametime or intranet sites, only notes email and DBs.

Any suggestions are welcome

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Witch OS in the vm and the host are you using?

Did you place your vm nic in bridged mode?

Diego

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

Host machine is running Windows 7 64 bit, VMWare player 3.13

Guest machine is running Windows XP 32Bit, SP3 - this guest is converted from my work image

Network access is being delivered to the guest via Bridged Networking

When  I am at work and connected to my office network (either wired or  wireless), the guest machine has full internet and intranet access,  including Lotus Notes and Sametime

When I am at home,  connected within the guest machine using AT&T Net Client 7.6.3, I  can connect to the VPN, and have full access to Lotus Notes, but I  cannot connect to Sametime, nor can I access almost any of my intranet  sites

I was able to correctly connect to VPB with full access while away on business, which means this issue is localized to my home LAN.

I have a D-Link DGL-4500 router

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you switch between different nics you should know that the "automatic bridging" feature DOES NOT work.

So if you want to switch a VM from using bridged to a normal ethernet nic and bridged to a WLAN nic
there is only one way to do it.

You must configure vmnet0 for one nic and vmnet2 for another nic(WLAN) fopr example
and then switch the VM from vmnet0 gto vmnet2.

VMplayer does not have this option in the GUI so you must edit the vmx-file directly.

0 Kudos
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

Not really an issue, as noted, I was able to successfully connect the VPN with full access in the guest OS with the bridged networking settings unchanged; regardless, I adjusted the bridging settings to only use one adapter (so no switching will occur) but was unable connect still.

0 Kudos
chrisbockhop
Contributor
Contributor

As is usually the case, I had a "check the power cables" moment; removing net client and all user settings and reinstalling has resolved the issue.

0 Kudos