VMware Communities
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

VPN disconnecting connection between host and guest

I have installed VMWare and created a virtual machine with Windows 7.0. My host is also Windows 7.0 and I am using Bridged Network connectivity.

I use a VPN client on guest machine. The VPN software blocks all outside internet connections. Its working fine on Guest but the guest loses connection to host ( I cannot ping my host machine from guest). But that is not the issue.

The issue is when I connect to VPN client on my host machine, the guest also loses internet connection. Is there any way to have internet connection on Guest even though host is on VPN?

Thanks

Deepu

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Hi

Wich vpnclient are you using? I've got 3 and my vm never loses conectivity.

Try to create a separated network like this VMware KB: Bridged networking does not work when loopback adapter is installed on host

Regards

Si esta u otra respuesta es util, por favor marca su correspondiente notificador. Gracias/Regards
0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

hi

Thanks for your response. I am using CISCO VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0290. I tried as suggested in the KB and it didin't help.

As soon as I connect to VPN, the guest on VM loses connection.

0 Kudos
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Sorry, I've checkpoint, shrewsoft and juniper (I used cisco a few years ago).

Can you sendme a netsh dump before and after your connection start?

Si esta u otra respuesta es util, por favor marca su correspondiente notificador. Gracias/Regards
0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

Sent the dump to you as a private message.

0 Kudos
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Hi

Ok. Your VPN insets a new default route in your interface="Local Area Connection 2".

Maybe you'll need to add that route in your VM, but in my experience, a vpn is allways a PPP connection and some firewalls like asa dont allow multiple IP connections.

You can do this next:

- Add a second vnic to your VM.

- Configure it to use NAT

- Enable/disable your direct connection/nat depending on whether cisco is connected or not

To solve this, you should mix some combinations od statics routes in host, guest and a check in "Local Area Connection 2", "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" and "VMware Network Adapter VMnet8" that enables the cisco vpn filter

This is like my config.

If I need a VM in my vpn, I enable all of them, and then I connect and I start the VM

Captura5.PNG

If you need to connect only your VM and your host should be out of connection, the VMware Bridge protocol must be enabled.

0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion. But it didnt entire worked.
Here is what I did

1. Added a new vnic to VMware and made int NAT.

2. Changed NAT adapter to allow 'VMwareBridge protocol' as you suggested in the screenshot.

After connecting to VMware and VPN on host. I disabled the Bridge adaptor and only has the NAT one.

Now the guest on Vmware connects to internet but only has access to certain sites like the host does (as VPN blocks most of the sites). But I want it to access everything outside of VPN.

0 Kudos
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Hi

Is your organitation using proxy.pac or dns forwarding?

0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what they are using. The VPN is from our client and we have no information on it.

0 Kudos
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Ok.

you'll need host routes, try to configure it

0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

Can you briefly describe how can I configure host routes? I really appreciate your help on this.

0 Kudos
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

I'll send you it in this week in a private message.

0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
deepu111
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Can you please respond on how to configure host routes?

Thanks

0 Kudos