VMware Communities
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

VMwareplayer and Win XP

I installed Win XP (Host Win 7) to try to run a legacy scanner. I am unable to access the host drives/partitions. Did I set it up incorrectly or is there something I can change to import booksmarks, etc.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Funkyecat,

You can't access the host's file system directly from within the guest. You need to use Shared folders feature. And for that, you need first to have VMware tools running in the guest, modify its settings and choose which host's folder you want to share.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the shared folder feature. I don't see host anywhere in VM Tools. I cannot even access a Lexar USB drive yet my wireless mouse works fine.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

You need to modify the Virtual machine settings from Player's menu. Go to Options / Shared folders. You need first to enable it (always or until next power off) then select the folder on the host you want to share. For Windows guests, it is easier to tick "Map as a network drive". This way, your folder will appear as a new driver in Explorer.

Franck

0 Kudos
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the Players menu? All I see is VM Tools. Do I do this before I enter Win XP. The instructions are not clear. The is no Options section that I can find. I use Firefox.

0 Kudos
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

I found it under 'Virtual Machine' now I have to try my printer and scanner.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know what I did but when I now go into it all I get is a black screen and cannot return settings using the settings. I gues I have to start from scratch, sgain.

0 Kudos
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

click on virtual machine > virtual machine settings > you fu\ind two tabs here 1. hardware 2 options

In the options menu enable shared folder.

I enabled it but where this shared folder will be shown in the guest os ?

0 Kudos
Funkyecat
Contributor
Contributor

I found this awhile back. Thanx

0 Kudos