VMware Communities
elmoo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation on Ubuntu 20.04: “This virtual machine is powered off or suspended”

Hi,

I have VMWare Workstation 16 Player installed on Ubuntu 20.04. Created a Virtual Machine and after it’s being setup I want to power it up. So when clicking on “Power On” the screen shows “This virtual machine is powered off or suspended” for very short period of time and then VMWare closes without any message. So I’m unable to power on the virtual machine.

Do you have any tips, advise on how to resolve this issue and be able to power up the virtual machine ?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
leijonamieli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

So Ubuntu is the host?

When you created the virtual machine (guest) which operating system did you install there? If you didn't install the guest yet I think you should have some CD/DVD installation medium either inserted in the physical drive or have an ISO image mounted in the Virtual Machine Hardware Settings.

0 Kudos
elmoo
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu is the host.

I did not create the virtual machine, I just simply imported OVF file - I want to run EVE-NG (https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/download/).

OS on virtual machine (guest) is Ubuntu 64-bit.

When I use Win10 as the host and try to import the same OVF file to VMware player, virtual machine powers on without issues.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, one workaround - since you have another host where the OVF was imported and runs successfully...

On the Win10 host, after the VM was imported and runs, power it off.  Then copy the entire contents of the VM's folder (I usually just create a zip of the folder myself and date it - then I have a known working backup) to the Ubuntu host.  Open the VM on there and it should just work.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

@elmoo  You got the instructions in the above ... just for further clarification of the issue:

There is no point in creating/importing virtual computers on each host. You can just copy or move them over to another place. Use a reliable copying method - GUI copying in Windows is not one of them - robocopy in Windows or rsync on Linux. A faulty copy is the most common error in this regard. Using a zip file, like suggested above, makes the copying more robust, too. When your guest OS's don't require licensing, copying and moving are no-brainer and I have used them massively between Linux (mostly Ubuntu) and all Windows versions (XP/Vista 64-bit/Win 7/Win10) - zero problems.

Altenatively, which I have used extensively because recent high-level laptops are very powerful but you will find fast disk space rather limited when you have over 10 VMs with lots of data, you can run your VMs from an external SSD-drive and thus have unlimited, affordable space for VMs. USB-3 interface is a must there, but recent laptops have it (or have better generations of it). You can run VMs in turns in Windows and Linux, not a problem (but read the comments below).

However, there is one thing, which may or may not have been a problem in your attempt to use Ubuntu host ... which isn't corrected just by copying the VM. NTFS cannot be the filesystem for the VM on Ubuntu platform. That is true since 18.04 (talking about LTS-versions) and similarly on other Linuxes (I tested a few different, and this is probably a common kernel problem). Not sure if the new 5.13 kernel fixes it, since there are newly written NTFS-drivers (see Linus Torvals articles for comments on that kernel). The problem actually is with VMware - I tested normal file copying and NTFS is NOT a problem in normal copying (I tested with 2 TB dataset), but VMs are just so slow that they are completely unusable. Still, to my understanding the actual fix should be in Linux kernel.

About VM, NTFS and Linux kernels - If somebody has tested with a newer kernel (newer than 5.11), let us know what the results are.

... if not obvious ... you cannot use this above-mentioned external disk method, alternate between Linux and Windows, anymore, until this NTFS-problem is fixed (or do something strange, like get ext4 drivers to Windows and hope that they really work).

EDIT: Minor changes for more clear text.

0 Kudos
jos541
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

my problem is the similar. I changed the motherboard and thought that the VM Client was shut down. Booting the client I answered that I moved the Windows partition. After starting the VM Windows client under linux Mint 21.01 I got the same error. No way for me to fix the problem.

Any help possible?

0 Kudos
jos541
Contributor
Contributor

My system: Linux Mint 21.01, Kernel .15.0-69-generic

Client W10

0 Kudos