VMware Communities
eddybayo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware/windows not working after installing Windows XP SP2

I just updated my old version of Windows XP Professional 32 bit to Service Pack 2, and now all of my desktop in windows has disappeared and the Start button isn't showing. All I have is the windows wallpaper. Is there any way to undo this or to recover everything I had previously?!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try rebooting to Safe Mode and then reboot normally... do you still have the same issue?

0 Kudos
eddybayo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Do you mean reboot my mac or windows? If windows, I can't because all I have in windows is a screen with the wallpaper and no buttons. Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not clear what you mean.

Additional info - I now get this message when suspending VMWare: The request to suspend this virtual machine failed because te corressponding VMware tools script did not run successfully....

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can force a restart of the Virtual Machine from the Virtual Machine menu pressing the Option (Alt) key and selecting Force Restart.  Then boot Windows to Safe Mode.  Have a look at: To start the computer in safe mode and A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

0 Kudos
eddybayo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!! I actually rebooted normally and not in safe mode by mistake, but it worked anyway! Thanks - you've saved me days of recovery work!

0 Kudos