VMware Communities
MRH4PPY
Contributor
Contributor

VMware virtual bios fake dock station id / Win XP guest hardware profile auto select

Hi,

I'm using multiple dual boot computers with linux and windows XP. Usually both systems can be booted both in native and virtualized environment. Using this feature efficiently requires usage of hardware profiles in XP. Unfortunately as far as I have searched through the topic it seams that XP has no facilities for automatic selection of hardware profile other than retrieval of docking station id through acpi from bios (feature used by laptop users) at the stage of ntdetect.com. I was wondering whether it would be possible to modify vmware bios to publish fake dock id to undelying XP guest causing it to use normal undocked profile natively and docked (virtual) profile when run in vmware player.

It might seem complicated to go through such effort just to remove one hardware profile select dialog at XP start, however it prevents some use cases (remote automated startup for example). Of course if there are any other ways to trigger automatic hardware profile selection that I failed to find on the net, I will be glad for info.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HicksCorp
Contributor
Contributor

i'm willing to see a solution to this issue too... Manually selecting a hardware profile can be an issue if the wrong one gets booted...

Passing a dock ID to the windows boot process would probably do the trick, but i've got no idea on how to do it. Maybe using GRUB instead of the standard windows boot loader?

0 Kudos