bcbhome
Contributor
Contributor

VMware shuts down after powering on virtual machine

I have successfully installed VMware Workstation 16 Player version 16.1.2 build-17966106 on my machine running Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I have created an Windows 10x64 VM inside the Workstation Player. When I power on the virtual machine, I see a new black window with "Waiting for connection" for a split second and then the window completely disappears and the Workstation Player shuts down. I have attached the log file for your reference. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

file:///home/john/vmware/Windows%2010%20x64/vmware.zip

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bcbhome
Contributor
Contributor

I see the log file didn't attach on my previous post, hopefully it's included now!

I have successfully installed VMware Workstation 16 Player version 16.1.2 build-17966106 on my machine running Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I have created an Windows 10x64 VM inside the Workstation Player. When I power on the virtual machine, I see a new black window with "Waiting for connection" for a split second and then the window completely disappears and the Workstation Player shuts down. I have attached the log file for your reference. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. There is an area of VMTN for Workstation Player, I’ve reported your thread to ask moderators to move it there.

2. That ZIP file is not attached, try again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMTN voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Your explanation feels that you have created a VM for installing Windows 10, but have not installed it, yet.

If so ...

- you need to have the Windows .iso file somewhere in your system (or a DVD disk for Windows)
- you need to point the virtual DVD hardware to that .iso file (or point to a DVD if that is your source)
- you need to toggle the switch that DVD is POWERED ON when booted

If feels that the last bit is missing in your case, if my assumptions are true.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@bcbhome 

There was no need to create a duplicate thread, also in the wrong area of VMTN, I’ve reported it to recommend it is archived, add your ZIP file to this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMTN voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos